Bare bottom or substrate ?

Ryanpyx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
I prefer thin layer of substrate because it’s looks way better and I love it how the rays act in it, always sifting though it etc and they love to bury themselves for a while after they’ve had a good feed. As regards filteration, sand may make a good filter media inside a filter with water flowing through it but I’m not convinced it adds any benefits of filtration just sat on the bottom of the tank.
What about gravel, small rocks and stones? They add as filter media as well no?
I'm planning to keep Florida gars, Dorado, tiger shovelnose catfish and a motoro ray.
I would prefer having sand and some gravel along with driftwood and some rocks.
But as of now, I'm planning to go bare bottom but with rocks and driftwood.

Ryanpyx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
I prefer thin layer of substrate because it’s looks way better and I love it how the rays act in it, always sifting though it etc and they love to bury themselves for a while after they’ve had a good feed. As regards filteration, sand may make a good filter media inside a filter with water flowing through it but I’m not convinced it adds any benefits of filtration just sat on the bottom of the tank.
What about gravel, small rocks and stones? They add as filter media as well no?
I'm planning to keep Florida gars, Dorado, tiger shovelnose catfish and a motoro ray.
But as of now, I'm planning to go bare bottom but with rocks and driftwood.

Ray-z

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2017
if that’s what you would prefer then do that. Like I said it’s nice to watch the rays sifting and hiding in the sand... I find that as long as you don’t make the sand too thick it’s easy to keep clean because the rays are always turning it over for you. Rocks and driftwood Look great too as long as they don’t take up too much floor space for your Ray and as long as they’re not too sharp cos they’re discs are really delicate and they can tear them quite easily.. Definitely think it looks nicer and more natural with a bit of substrate and decor just don’t think it adds anything as regards filteration. Let your filter take care of that

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Barebottom over here. Pulled the sand out 2 tanks ago.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store