Umbee Tankmates!

Zukobongolo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
So I have a 9 inch thinking its a female Umbee and I have been interested in a Jaguar cichlid for a while now. Should I risk putting the Jaguar cichlid in the 190 gallon tank or leave the Umbee as a solitary fish. What would you guys suggest.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I agree with Brandonclark88 Brandonclark88 and also the fact the Umbee has claimed the 190 as her territory so it may not end well for one of them.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I agree, dropping another large cichlid into the umbee's tank is not going to end well for the jaguar. The only way I could see it *maybe* working is if you switched tanks or did a full rescape with the umbee out of the tank, then added 3 fish, then put the umbee back. But honestly I think a 190 might not be big enough for tankmates with an adult umbee

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
My female umbee ignored smaller fish .. she was 12-15" in a 220 .. how aggressive is she? how big is jag ? Ive gotten by introducing at least three smaller fish with larger fish after rearranging , cleaning tank. .. example smaller jag and two target fish ( convict, silver dollars etc) GL

Zukobongolo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
My female umbee ignored smaller fish .. she was 12-15" in a 220 .. how aggressive is she? how big is jag ? Ive gotten by introducing at least three smaller fish with larger fish after rearranging , cleaning tank. .. example smaller jag and two target fish ( convict, silver dollars etc) GL
Well I'm not exactly sure what she/he is yet, but Im heading towards a female but some people have actually said he/she is a male. I think time will definetely tell. So my umbee is currently 21cm and the jag is 16cm. Should I risk it or leave him/her alone.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
Well I'm not exactly sure what she/he is yet, but Im heading towards a female but some people have actually said he/she is a male. I think time will definetely tell. So my umbee is currently 21cm and the jag is 16cm. Should I risk it or leave him/her alone.
They are pretty small still , but close in size.. it might last for a while, do you have a contingency plan if it doesn't bode well? If it were me Id pass...

Reactions: tlindsey

Zukobongolo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
They are pretty small still , but close in size.. it might last for a while, do you have a contingency plan if it doesn't bode well? If it were me Id pass...
Well the guy I was going to get him from gave me a recipt type thing and said if they dont get along I can take back the jaguar. Its basically a hit or a miss.
Would you suggest any other type of fish with the umbee? Could I put three silver dollars in with it or something? I just dont want it to be just my umbee. I wouldn't mind if it was but it would be cool to have something else with it.

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
I would try either silver dollars or tinfoil barbs. The barbs may work better in that setup compared to the silver dollars.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store