Umbee Tankmates!

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Plecos work well and loaches do too. Just make sure they have somewhere to hide that the umbee can not get to

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
Sorry another question, would there be any sort of catfish or cleaner fish that the umbee wouldnt beat up?
If you wanted other fish in the tank the umbee was probably the wrong way to go haha. It's hit and miss with cichlids especially medium/ large umbees as before cichlids will just fight with each other and you risk wasting money trying to find cichlid tankmates for the umbee if you are set on adding other fish to the umbee tank make sure there are plenty of hides and open areas above for barbs to swim and have a chance to escape if need be. When I had my umbee the best tankmates were none at all as he matured but because yours is a female some possibilities include:
Tinfoil barbs
Silver dollars (not the best but not the worst options)
Common plecostomus (sailfin plecos are large but will get their fins shredded)
The Synodontis species which can look after themselves (featherfin catfish)

Zukobongolo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
If you wanted other fish in the tank the umbee was probably the wrong way to go haha. It's hit and miss with cichlids especially medium/ large umbees as before cichlids will just fight with each other and you risk wasting money trying to find cichlid tankmates for the umbee if you are set on adding other fish to the umbee tank make sure there are plenty of hides and open areas above for barbs to swim and have a chance to escape if need be. When I had my umbee the best tankmates were none at all as he matured but because yours is a female some possibilities include:
Tinfoil barbs
Silver dollars (not the best but not the worst options)
Common plecostomus (sailfin plecos are large but will get their fins shredded)
The Synodontis species which can look after themselves (featherfin catfish)
Dont get me wrong if I can't put anything in the tank with him/her then that is completely fine too. I don't mind.

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
I tried to put a pleco in with my umbee, even at 7 inches he ripped it in half. :’(
If you try, do it with a common pleco, not a green phantom pleco so it will hurt less if it decides it wants to go Jack the Ripper.

Reactions: tlindsey

Zukobongolo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
I would try either silver dollars or tinfoil barbs. The barbs may work better in that setup compared to the silver dollars.
I recently heard that a bay snook might work as they are a more docile species of american cichlid (its not actually a brackish or saltwater fish I think), would you think thats possible or would that just send the snook to its grave? Sorry I'm asking alot of questions but should I risk it?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I've already answered this question but,
Snooks(petenia splendida)are very large predators but are not nearly as aggressive as an umbie. Snooks have a large basket type mouth used to engulf quite large prey. This also makes the jaw quite weak.
If your umbie challenges the snook and starts jaw locking,the snook won't stand a chance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store