How long can a tigrinus survive in a bag

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
Hello
So Tigrinus catfish will be coming in to sri lanka by a shipment they are ought to arrive in 2 days time..since they are rare stock will be over within a day..
Is it ok if I go and buy when tig is in bag, its a six hour drive to get them so it will be dificult to go again and they wont take advance payments..
Is it a big risk to take them directly?

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
Or is it better if I wait for another day and get the fish to make sure they are acclimated ..
Shipment will arrive Saturday morning I can wait until sunday afternoon to get the fish but will this put additional stress on the fish???
I know 1 and half days is not enough time to season a fish properly
My tank is cycled and all good

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would wait a day for the fish. Easily stressed fish and needs super clean water. If it’s diseased OT stressed it won’t make the shipment. Lot can happen in a day.

Reactions: dudefish82

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
Would wait a day for the fish. Easily stressed fish and needs super clean water. If it’s diseased OT stressed it won’t make the shipment. Lot can happen in a day.
Thanks!
Yeah that means ill be buying the fish after about 34hrs of bieng put in the tank is that ok?
I understand that there still is a risk since this fish is very sensitive

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks!
Yeah that means ill be buying the fish after about 34hrs of bieng put in the tank is that ok?
I understand that there still is a risk since this fish is very sensitive
Sensitive fish after shipment will either make it or won’t. So if it is there the next day then no money wasted. That gives it a day to acclimate, settle in and reduce more stress the way I look at it. Atleast how I look at it.

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
Sensitive fish after shipment will either make it or won’t. So if it is there the next day then no money wasted. That gives it a day to acclimate, settle in and reduce more stress the way I look at it. Atleast how I look at it.
Thanks alot..will do that what do I have to lose..they come every 7months or so
Whats the best idea to acclimate him when I bring him home?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks alot..will do that what do I have to lose..they come every 7months or so
Whats the best idea to acclimate him when I bring him home?
I usually just open the bag and scoop the fish out and drop in. That’s how I’ve always done it. Just make sure there’s current in the tank. Water is clean and no aggressive tankmates.

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
I usually just open the bag and scoop the fish out and drop in. That’s how I’ve always done it. Just make sure there’s current in the tank. Water is clean and no aggressive tankmates.
Any recommended time to keep the fish in the bag during floating?
Like 30mins then take him out.
Or add ammonia detox and do the scoop method

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Ammonia detox and scoop method works well.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I usually just open the bag and scoop the fish out and drop in.
Hello; I use to do it that way but no longer.
I float the bag in the tank 20 minutes or longer if a bib bag to allow the temps to equalize.

After that time I let a small amount of the tank water into the bag. This is to start giving a taste of the tank water. I do this several times. I figure this should reduce possible shock due to water parameter differences.

I guess scooping them out with a net can work better with larger fish but with smaller fish I do it different. I place a net on the rim of a bucket and pour the bag water thru. catch the fish in the net and transfer to the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store