KKP blocked nice and puffy lips

jsoto2005

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
my King Kong Parrot has inflamed white stuff coming out of its nose and puffy lips. Looks infected just above his right lip a little darkenning aswell. From one day to the next. I wanna catch this early. What could it be? He’s been up and down with his feeding lately. Bit moody

And before you ask I’m going to get my water tested asap. I do 25-30% water changes twice weekly and it’s in a 60 gall with blood parrots. I’m gonna separate him tonight in a Q tank and monitor

Pics:

2551A335-06BE-4945-A5BB-F8D121BBAB7F.png

34CA17EA-E1C7-4E44-86D1-7D9C103FE388.jpeg

8FF4EC11-E146-4AFC-9D5F-67832248ADC9.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Looks like the disease Columnaris (Duck Lips) which comes from a gram negative bacteria, and becomes especially virulent water temps above 82'F.
I usually euthanize any fish that comes down with it, and then sterileze the tank, and all equipment in contact with its water, or the fish (nets, tubing, filters etc).
The bacteria is very contagious, and can live for long periods in substrate and detritus, unless totally wiped out (even damp gravel removed from the tank).
The jaw atrophies and is usually impossible to move trying to press it closed with the fingers.
The fish usually hovers in a small area and can't eat, once the disease hs progressed to the swollen jaw stage.
I will leave it to others to recommend an antibiotic treatment regime, if you want to try, because for me not worth the trouble once the disease has gone that far.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
I would sterilize the tank and gravel with a 2% solution of bleach in water then start your nitrogen cycle all over see if you can get some filter media from a friend or lfs.

jsoto2005

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
WOW what a way to go

He is a 2+ year old KKP and would be a shame to have him leave.

I’m mostly worried about the other 5 parrots contracting it. They seem fine but like you said... could come back.
So basically I can’t treat it, as soon as you get Columnaris your fish is screwed?

Atm I’ve moved him into a 80l tank, added 3 tablespoons of aquarium salts and dropped the temp to 26 degrees celcius

Not sure what steps to take next but from what you guys are saying if I clean the main tank out it might save the BPs from also contracting it in future

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
dreaded flexibacter - The Koi Keepers
The article is old, back when the bacterial genus was Flexibactor, but it is the same disease.
Cichlids usually manifest the locked jaws systems.
Sorry to hear there are other fish in the tank, usually if one fish has it they all eventually succumb.
I have euthanized entire tanks.
If you place this post in the disease section, you may have members suggest treatment regimes that have worked.

Last edited:

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
WOW what a way to go

He is a 2+ year old KKP and would be a shame to have him leave.

I’m mostly worried about the other 5 parrots contracting it. They seem fine but like you said... could come back.
So basically I can’t treat it, as soon as you get Columnaris your fish is screwed?

Atm I’ve moved him into a 80l tank, added 3 tablespoons of aquarium salts and dropped the temp to 26 degrees celcius

Not sure what steps to take next but from what you guys are saying if I clean the main tank out it might save the BPs from also contracting it in future
I had to put down a 17 year old polleni because of ducklips... absolutely sucks when it hits...

jsoto2005

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
I wanna thank all you of guys for your quick and helpful responses.
Yesterday arvo I put him down. Guillotine style. Didn’t want him to suffer. Big fish so as you can imagine it was hard to see him go, but you could tell from the white mush coming out of his pores that He had enough..
I will throw out anything that he has touched in the Quarantine tank and be mindful of the main display. Hopefully it won’t affect the smaller blood parrots, they are moving to a bigger home soon so I’ll be monitoring them.
You guys are great thanks again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store