Where do yall buy your big tanks???

Ken Seeley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2017
Ive been doing aome looking around online, and it looks like fish tanks direct might be my best option. Looking for a 600 to 700 gallon tank. Whats everyones thoughts or experiences with big tank purchases.
Thanks in advance folks, i greatlt appreciate the help.
Ken

Ken Seeley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2017
Ive been doing aome looking around online, and it looks like fish tanks direct might be my best option. Looking for a 600 to 700 gallon tank. Somewhere along the lines of an 8 foot tank. Maybe 3 deep 4 tall, or 4 deep 3 tall.Whats everyones thoughts or experiences with big tank purchases.
Thanks in advance folks, i greatlt appreciate the help.
Ken

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Craigslist hunting is what I've always done. There are definitely companies, like that one, which will build a tank to your specs, but it will cost quite a bit.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Several of us have custom tanks from Fishtanksdirect. I also have a 300 gallon tank from Midwest Custom Aquariums. Chris was very helpful. There is also ATM in Las Vegas, (the TV show builders). There are tank builders all over the country.

Adictd2Fsh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
I would agree. Craigslist, fishtanksdirect, or have one cu$tom built by a builder. There is always the option of building your own for way cheaper. You can build your own acrylic for the price of glass aquarium. You can buy sheets of acrylic pre cut or if you have a circular saw or table saw you can cut your own. (I prefer precut.) You can buy glue on ebay or amazon. I have built a couple tanks and stands. There are videos on you tube that will show you exactly how its done.

TatLego

Feeder Fish
Jan 26, 2018
I would do craigslist or FB shopping I'm currently looking for a tank 100 or more gallons

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
I didn't see your "3 deep 4 tall; 4 deep 3 tall comment.

Are you planning on having your tank inside your house? Keep in mind that standard door openings are 28" - 30", so you will need a sliding door, or french doors, or something similar to get the tank inside. This is the biggest reason big tanks are often relegated to the garage.

Of course, there is no problem if you are building the house/fishroom. The tank could be in place before the walls go up.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Depends on what you mean by big, some people consider 100-200 gallons big.
I usually got those from Craigs when I lived in the US.
The biggest problem I have with tall tanks, is the difficulty and/or inability to reach far enough to keep the lower front glass clean, even a 3ft tall tank presents a problem. And many species kept in aquariums don't need tons of depth.
Depth also can present strength problem, google an article by Willam Heijns about his 1000 gal cichlid tank exploding.
Of course if the tank is large enough, and well built enough to get into with SCUBA gear on, then no biggie.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Ken Seeley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2017
I didn't see your "3 deep 4 tall; 4 deep 3 tall comment.

Are you planning on having your tank inside your house? Keep in mind that standard door openings are 28" - 30", so you will need a sliding door, or french doors, or something similar to get the tank inside. This is the biggest reason big tanks are often relegated to the garage.

Of course, there is no problem if you are building the house/fishroom. The tank could be in place before the walls go up.
Fish room.is in my shop, double doors to easily fit the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store