Kl sump build, with pic, quistion on air, and media

slipshodman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Australia
Do you find the sump incredibly noisy with that volume of air going into the water ?

And can you overdose air into the water column ? I suppose that depends on your actual tank size

heffesuita

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2007
windsor v.t
Do you find the sump incredibly noisy with that volume of air going into the water ?

And can you overdose air into the water column ? I suppose that depends on your actual tank size
first off this tank is not set up yet. I have only ran the filter a few days for testing so my experience will be less then those on this site that have these kind of set ups up and running for a long period of time. with that said the loudest part of the hole thing is the large air pump. the airators in the sump them selfs put of a grumbling type of sound, is kind of like a boiling water sound that is basciauly what it does with out heat as far as the moment is concerned. the air in the sump it self not including the sound of the air pump is probauly around the same as say an aqua clear 110 hang on the back filter when the water is not all the way to the top and you get the water fall sound but it is a different sound, if that makes sence. if you put a lid on the chamber were the k1 in the sump is it makes a big difference in sound. before I put the new rim on I cut acrylic for that chamber and covered 80 percent of it and made a huge difference in that.

as far as 2 much air, as far as my research has gone on that there is no such thing as to much air for fish. seems to be you can over airate for plants thow. I am no exspert in that either. this filter is going on a pretty large tank to me atleast. is going to be a 72" L x 36" W x 22" H tank this will be being used as and over the top filter with the bulk heads drilled into the front panel. one for the 3/4 inlet line and the 1 1/2 outlet

NathanKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
Nor*Cal
Any pictures with k1 in it?

I had similar movement in my recent attempt at a k1 filter but couldn't get the media to tumble like I wanted.

Tarsun

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2018
do you have to use air to circulate the K1? Could you use a power head, or wave maker, or even another water pump...?

this is coming from a guy who does not have a sump setup, has never used a sump setup, and really knows nothing about sumps.

heffesuita

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2007
windsor v.t
Any pictures with k1 in it?

I had similar movement in my recent attempt at a k1 filter but couldn't get the media to tumble like I wanted.
Its not set up. Is actualy for sale currently. K1 will not flow around properly 7ntill it is completly cycled. Maybe that was the issue

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store