Almost 6 months, altum and frontosa.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Altums are mostly wild caught with limited, if any, domestic breeding. I don’t know if Orinoco is a black water habitat. I do know that Seagress farm routinely acclimates wild caught black water fish from pH 4 to 7.2 before distribution.

freak78

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
Northwest, Indiana
I got these from a fella out of Illinois. He imported 800 2 years ago, all sizes. He had some huge ones but I went with the smallest, figured they would be the most tolerable to water changes.

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
No one has been successful in breeding discus without softening the water.
You are incorrect. Discus will breed without soft water. They just won't lay as many eggs/fertilize as many eggs as they would if the water is softened.

Love the Altums, they are fantastic looking fish. Sadly they aren't available here. Would have loved to keep a couple of pairs with my Discus once the Discus are fully grown.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
You are incorrect. Discus will breed without soft water. They just won't lay as many eggs/fertilize as many eggs as they would if the water is softened.

Love the Altums, they are fantastic looking fish. Sadly they aren't available here. Would have loved to keep a couple of pairs with my Discus once the Discus are fully grown.
I said "successful in breeding", not merely " breeding". Lot of fish can be bred in wrong water conditions, but unsuccessful in hatching and raising the fry. Successful discus breeding requires soft water to get eggs fertilized, hatched, and fry survival to certain stage before acclimating to harder water. Adult fish are more forgiving than eggs and small fry to unfavorable water conditions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store