MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Altum and Front have oppositing water condition requirement. Many Altum need RO water to thrive, specially wild or newly domesticated fish. Domesticated Front are more forgiving and can tolerate softer water. They both seem to thrive in your tank. What is your water condition?

Reactions: KATALEKEEPER

freak78

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
Northwest, Indiana
My water is well water ran the a water softner. My Ph is 8.2. Have had the Altums now for a year and a half in my well water. The fronts I've had for about 8 months. I've heard it all about the different water requirements for each specie of fish and how it won't work etc, etc, etc. Don't know what to tell anyone but it works for me.

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
I've heard it all about the different water requirements for each specie of fish and how it won't work etc, etc, etc.
People get too stuck up over what water they live in when in the wild. This usually only holds true for wild caught and even those are often adaptable.

Thing is most of the fish are now bred locally and are born and brought up in the local water, so usually do fine.
Even delicate fish like Discus now live most water conditions.

Reactions: ny.subway

ny.subway

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2017
Agreed with hidan, have all my discus and new altum on a high pH water with no RO. I bought a discus before on someone with a RO and lower pH water, took a long time for them to acclimate with jus my regular water than the lfs discus and angels.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Raising fish is one thing, breeding them is another thing. No one has been successful in breeding discus without softening the water. Also, some black water fish are vulnerable to HITH if kept in hard water.

I have kept regular angel with Green Terror. Others have kept Discus with Stingrays. If you don't intend to breed them, and they thrive, it's a proof that it works for you. Keeping barred Altum with barred Frontosa is in a way a sensation. A barred Frontosa with long trailers is an African angel to me.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store