Bracing a 120gal

Greenboy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2017
Derbyshire, UK
Apologies for posting a DIY question in the general aquarium section, but i wasn't getting any replies in the DIY section and i need assistance.

I recently got a used aquamedic percula 120. This aquarium comes with an internal sump built into the back of the tank (i removed this for the extra swimming room) which spans the whole back wall of the aquarium.

My question is do i need to brace this tank? The aquarium has a thick trim (which doesn't look like it provides much structural strength actually) but doesn't come with any bracing - other than the sump across the back.

Dimensions are 48" x 24" x 24" and i believe the tank is made of 10mm glass but the front pane is 12mm.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Apologies for posting a DIY question in the general aquarium section, but i wasn't getting any replies in the DIY section and i need assistance.

I recently got a used aquamedic percula 120. This aquarium comes with an internal sump built into the back of the tank (i removed this for the extra swimming room) which spans the whole back wall of the aquarium.

My question is do i need to brace this tank? The aquarium has a thick trim (which doesn't look like it provides much structural strength actually) but doesn't come with any bracing - other than the sump across the back.

Dimensions are 48" x 24" x 24" and i believe the tank is made of 10mm glass but the front pane is 12mm.
I honestly would...
BUT
If you feel that it's fine then fill it outside and look at glass is it bending or cracking?

It isn't that hard to brace the tank... just look on YouTube and eBay

Greenboy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2017
Derbyshire, UK
Yeah that's the plan. I'm wondering what how much structural strength the sump at the back gave, i mean it never touched the front pane of glass, just loosely connected the sides and back.

More opinions and advice welcome

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
I doubt it provided any... or MAYBE like a tiny bit

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I recently got a used aqua medic percula 120. This aquarium comes with an internal sump built into the back of the tank (i removed this for the extra swimming room) which spans the whole back wall of the aquarium.

http://www.swelluk.com/pdfs/Aqua-Medic-Percula-Operating-Manual.pdf

There doesn't seem to be any reference to the user needing to add or build a brace before using the tank.

Is there a reason you're concerned that it may have originally come with a brace, that was removed before you got it? Are you concerned that it's original design was defective and that it should have a a brace?

Or does it look like it will fail otherwise? It's of course possible that the sump you removed provided some structural support that was needed, but that is something hard to calculate without the builder being consulted. (In that case, I'd consider calling the manufacturer.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Davidiator

Greenboy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2017
Derbyshire, UK
http://www.swelluk.com/pdfs/Aqua-Medic-Percula-Operating-Manual.pdf

There doesn't seem to be any reference to the user needing to add or build a brace before using the tank.

Is there a reason you're concerned that it may have originally come with a brace, that was removed before you got it? Are you concerned that it's original design was defective and that it should have a a brace?

Or does it look like it will fail otherwise? It's of course possible that the sump you removed provided some structural support that was needed, but that is something hard to calculate without the builder being consulted. (In that case, I'd consider calling the manufacturer.)
The tank never came with a brace, as far as i can tell anyway. All the images of it on the internet have no bracing. The sump didn't touch the front pane of glass, but would have given the other 3 sides some support.

I'm going to do some resealing for certain and probably call the manufacturer to see what they say. If they give the all clear then i will fill it up in the garden to see what happens, if i have the slightest suspicion of structural weakness i'll just go ahead and brace the thing. It's not worth having almost 500 litres of water on my living room floor.

Thanks for the response on the other thread btw

Reactions: Davidiator
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store