What to put in my 300

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
If the one will be a Central American Cichlid community why not have the other one to represent some of the African species? There are a few choices.
Malawi
1. Mbuna - lots of 4-6" colourful stock insanely active and a bonus is the breeding that will take place (if that interests you), having a lot of smaller fish with a large rock work would be of great contrast to the other aquarium.
2. Haps/peacocks - similar to the mbuna setup but with less rock work and larger fish (more attractive imo).
Tanginikan
1. Frontosa colony - there are multiple species/variations available, these are large and quite simply stunning when housed correctly.
2. Community - so many species have the potential to housed in you're aquarium depending on availability I would recommend looking at fish in the 4 - 8" range and having quite a lot of variation species like Altolamprologus calvus, Julidochromis marlieri, Neolamprologus tretocephalus, Neolamprologus sexfasciatus, Cyathopharynx furcifer etc are all beautiful and somewhat underappreciated.
Other Africans
Here it depends on whether or not you want a biotope, there are many species that don't get the recognition they deserve. Many of the Hemichromis species aren't particularly easy to obtain but as adults they steal the show. Some also grow to 10-12" and are extremely aggressive. Paratilapia are another species that isn't kept properly, a lot of the time they are lumped in with the Americans which can and does work but to be truly appreciated I believe they should be housed separately.

Reactions: celebrist

Jonathann04769

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2018
Canada
Red tailed giant gourami, fire eel, and clown loaches.
So the one is Central. How about SA for the other. That size of a tank you can do a nice group of geos with an Oscar, GT, RT or Uaru as a big center piece possibly some sevrums and some SDs as dithers.
That would be quite nice, that’s what I was thinking, have it amazon themed with just a big variety of fish. What do you mean by RT because there is a couple fish with that initials

Jonathann04769

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2018
Canada
If the one will be a Central American Cichlid community why not have the other one to represent some of the African species? There are a few choices.
Malawi
1. Mbuna - lots of 4-6" colourful stock insanely active and a bonus is the breeding that will take place (if that interests you), having a lot of smaller fish with a large rock work would be of great contrast to the other aquarium.
2. Haps/peacocks - similar to the mbuna setup but with less rock work and larger fish (more attractive imo).
Tanginikan
1. Frontosa colony - there are multiple species/variations available, these are large and quite simply stunning when housed correctly.
2. Community - so many species have the potential to housed in you're aquarium depending on availability I would recommend looking at fish in the 4 - 8" range and having quite a lot of variation species like Altolamprologus calvus, Julidochromis marlieri, Neolamprologus tretocephalus, Neolamprologus sexfasciatus, Cyathopharynx furcifer etc are all beautiful and somewhat underappreciated.
Other Africans
Here it depends on whether or not you want a biotope, there are many species that don't get the recognition they deserve. Many of the Hemichromis species aren't particularly easy to obtain but as adults they steal the show. Some also grow to 10-12" and are extremely aggressive. Paratilapia are another species that isn't kept properly, a lot of the time they are lumped in with the Americans which can and does work but to be truly appreciated I believe they should be housed separately.
I tried Africans and I honestly hated keeping them. Yes they are gorgeous but they aren’t fun to keep for me. I might wanna try a big amazon themed tank or a community planted with hundreds of small fish doing there own thing. I think it’s so cool to have a bunch of small fish in a large tank, they make little territory’s and it’s an adventure to explore the tank.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
What sort of water comes from your tap?
This is usually what I consider a determining factor in what species I keep.
If you want South Americans, but your water is hard, then species from west of the Andes is a good choice, Festae (sometimes called RTs) GTs, Mesoheros gephyrum, or those of the red Hump Geo group (steindachneri, pellegrini etc)
if water is soft and mineral free, Amazonian, or northern S Americans from Venezuela, or the Guyana's are good choices.
Hard water Africans from the rift lakes, or if you have soft water, then West Africans .
If your water is neutral, Madagascans are also a good choice for that tank, including Madagacan rainbows.

Above are Paratilapia, and Paretroplus from Madagascar.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
RT is Red Terror Festae (Mesoheros Festae) not to be confused with the Mayan cichlid also called Red Terror.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
From what I have observed from Toni is they are more hostile swords same sp. fish. Toni had issues with every Oscar I put in her tank. But the RT and GT that were in there did great. She did one nibble to them when first introduced to establish that it's her tank, after that she left them be.
Now I am assuming that they will act simular in not like same so. of fish but is ok with others so long as they are smaller, different shape of fish, mouth and coloration. The main won' see it as competition.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store