15,000 gallon shipping container aquarium idea

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Interesting read and ideas.

IDK how practical it is to build a 15,000 gal tank that can be moved. I mean picking it up with a crane, perhaps driving too, could pop all of them window-to-wall seals, hence, one would need to way overbuild the tank to be able to withstand crazy sheer and deformation stresses, likely having an extremely fortified platform. It won't be "just a shipping container" anymore. Windows would need to be encased in metal frame and sealant front and back, not just front or front and sides, etc.

Anyhow... my 45'x14'x5' rubber liner pond with a 45' window took me about a year to build and very roughly

~$1000 in wood and plywood, screws, etc.
~$2000 in acrylic sheets
~$2000 in acrylic glue
~$1000 rubber liner
~$500 in misc. expenses, Dow 795 sealant, stainless steel bolts, etc.

In sum ~$6500.

Caveats - my aesthetic standards are low and long-term performance of the build is yet to be revealed.

You are a living legend :O :)

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016

IDK how practical it is to build a 15,000 gal tank that can be moved. I mean picking it up with a crane, perhaps driving too, could pop all of them window-to-wall seals, hence, one would need to way overbuild the tank to be able to withstand crazy sheer and deformation stresses, likely having an extremely fortified platform. It won't be "just a shipping container" anymore. Windows would need to be encased in metal frame and sealant front and back, not just front or front and sides, etc.

Anyhow... my 45'x14'x5' rubber liner pond with a 45' window took me about a year to build and very roughly

~$2000 in acrylic sheets
~$2000 in acrylic glue
~$1000 rubber liner

In sum ~$6500.

Caveats - my aesthetic standards are low and long-term performance of the build is yet to be revealed.

I'd love to hear about how you built this pond. The shark guys would get a kick out of it, $6500 to build a 25,000 gallon lagoon is insanely low.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
My steps, roughly:

-- dug a sand pit about 1.5-2.5' deep along the house - grade slopes away from the house (by hand, so no formal expense)
-- built the enclosure around the pit and attached it to the house side - 4x4 posts, roof boards, shade cloth, UV-treated tarp on top, insect netting for walls - no expenses included in the numbers above as these are not directly related to the tank construction
-- one 50' wall is the house wall, so built two 15' sidewalls out of wooden posts and doubled up 3/4" plywood, all pressure treated of course
-- built the window, 42 feet x 43 inches to be exact, joining five ~9'x43"x3/4" acrylic panes with four 2' wide posts (posts are outside of the tank) made of laminated sheets of acrylic, posts are 7' tall (~1/2 dug in ground, ~1/2 of the post height is above ground); glued 2'x43"x1/2" panels to each of the 4 joints on the inside, plus 6" wide strip all around the remaining perimeter of each of the 5 acrylic panes inside and out, top and bottom; plus two 3" wide acrylic strips along the top inside and out and a 6" wide acrylic top (to make a T top) along the entire 42' length; the glue is weld on #40 at $550 for 4 gals before shipping from Interstate Plastics, California, took 16 gals; watch and listen to the video above
-- all acrylic is from Craigslist, all cell cast - fish tank appropriate, NOT extruded
----- 9'x43"x3/4" five, $950 all
----- 7'x5'x1/2" eight, $400 all
----- 8'x4'x1/2" five, $600 all
-- attached 60'x20'x45 mil EPDM rubber liner to the window -
----- cross section: window | Dow 795 | liner | 3" wide acrylic strip, 1" thick
----- the 3" strip runs entire length and sides, one piece, made out of 1/2" acrylic
----- the 3" strip compresses the liner and Dow silicone with 1/4" stainless steel 316 marine grade bolts every 4.5", about 100 bolts
----- the vertical sides have no bolts but are screwed to the wooden side posts with stainless steel 6"x5/16" screws
-- dressed the sand pit, made an ~45 degree angle at the window to eliminate blind spot below the grade - the window only shows top 43" of the overall 4'-4.5' depth
-- laid down make shift liner underlayment - 4-5 layers of high quality, thick, used greenhouse plastic, waste scavenged from my neighbor who runs an orchid nursery
-- spread the liner
-- water tested, holds water

That's where we are at. I am fixing the liner to the top perimeter and building a wet/dry filter for the tank that will run on ~7000 nylon mesh pot scrubbers. Projected flow - eight to ten 5000 GPH pumps.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets

~$2000 in acrylic sheets
~$2000 in acrylic glue
~$1000 rubber liner

In sum ~$6500.

That was insane Vik!!! Congrats!! Can't wait till fish go in.

Hypnosisguy101

Feeder Fish
Jun 19, 2018
Would it be easier to cut the side out of a dumpste container and weld track to the inside to slide the window in ? And maybe weld a couple of cross beams over the top for added suppot. I don' know but this sounds alot more sturdy than a shipping containers .

open-top-roll-off-container.jpg

Hypnosisguy101

Feeder Fish
Jun 19, 2018
I been doing some thinking on the dumpster container idea . Feel free anyone to give me their opinion .

Put a 35 foot dumpster and place it (or stack it inside) into a 40 foot

The 35 foot dumpster will be the fish tank itself . The 40 foot container will have the extra 5 foot for filtration and plumbing work.

Optional insert here: Place a viewing window in both . You get the idea, you can be creative at this point .

Then concrete the middle of the side walls between the two ( It'. My opinion but I feel here that it might lend some wieght protection) And the extra 5 foot at the door end for maintenance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
There is a Co in western Canada whose business is just that, except they make shipping containers into swimming pools with windows: http://modpools.com/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store