Hoplias Mala. 2 quick questions

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
1) My 7 inch wolf fish ate a 5 inch blooddragon african cichlid(who was dying). I didn't think he would swallow the entire fish but did it. Huge belly for days and the smell of death in the entire room for 2 days.
How long should I wait before feeding him again?

2) One minute my wolf fish was hiding in the plants looking normal with it's black striped. The next minute I see it pale. Near by was a female dovii I added to the tank. All of the stripes were pretty much gone on the hoplias. Why would they camouflage toward the brighter side losing stripe coloration etc.?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would wait till the wolf’s belly is full. Also wait and watch the wolf in case it gets sick. Also don’t add small fish as it’ll get eaten.

The wolf fish is pale cause of stress due to a dovii. Should remove it as it may not end well. Both fish are aggressive and territorial.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Would wait till the wolf’s belly is full. Also wait and watch the wolf in case it gets sick. Also don’t add small fish as it’ll get eaten.

The wolf fish is pale cause of stress due to a dovii. Should remove it as it may not end well. Both fish are aggressive and territorial.
Cool thank you. So I've been monitoring the situation. I noticed the dovii at first wasn't scared of the wolf and even flared at it when it first encountered it. But then one snap from the wolf and dovii keeps away.

This is the first time I've never noticed the wolf being stressed but what you said sounds right. The wolf is trying to digest and is getting stressed. I hope this can pass otherwise I'll have to rehome the female dovii soon.

By the way what can go wrong with the hoplias since it ate such a large fish? Anything else I should look out for?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Cool thank you. So I've been monitoring the situation. I noticed the dovii at first wasn't scared of the wolf and even flared at it when it first encountered it. But then one snap from the wolf and dovii keeps away.

This is the first time I've never noticed the wolf being stressed but what you said sounds right. The wolf is trying to digest and is getting stressed. I hope this can pass otherwise I'll have to rehome the female dovii soon.

By the way what can go wrong with the hoplias since it ate such a large fish? Anything else I should look out for?
I would really separate those two fish. Not a good mix but keep an eye out.

A dying fish that could be infected if eaten can infect ur wolf fish. Just don’t want more dead fish.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I would really separate those two fish. Not a good mix but keep an eye out.

A dying fish that could be infected if eaten can infect ur wolf fish. Just don’t want more dead fish.
I should clarify it was more of a beaten up fish but same concept. What a bad move...thanks for the advice.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I should clarify it was more of a beaten up fish but same concept. What a bad move...thanks for the advice.
To add some background to why I'm testing a cichlid with the hoplias here's some more info. I had a texas cichild maybe it was round 3 inches or so that was with the wolf for a while. The wolf fish would get irritated by the texas but never bit or killed it. Chased it away here and there, but I removed the texas because I didn't want the wolf stressed. So I thought I might have a chance with my particular wolf in terms of adding another cichlid. I was really hoping the dragonblood cichlid would swim away and hide but the wolf struck like lightening.

Lesson learned there.

I have to keep a close eye on the dovii and the hoplias. I was hoping they could be short term tankmates.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I've watched the dovii and hoplias and they stay clear of each other.

Here's a pic of the wolf with pale color.

Also, some white stuff which I'm assuming it's "fish puke"? I did a water change 2 days ago and that stuff wasn't there.

Anything I can do to help the hoplias with digestion? Epsom salt??

20181212_182816.jpg 20181212_182809.jpg

Reactions: moe214

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Just give it a week for the wolf then consider the Epsom salt. Have a feeling it’ll be hungry by then.

The white stuff could be food spit up from stress due to the dovii.

Keep an eye out. Hope it works out.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Just give it a week for the wolf then consider the Epsom salt. Have a feeling it’ll be hungry by then.

The white stuff could be food spit up from stress due to the dovii.

Keep an eye out. Hope it works out.

Wanted to provide an update on this. The wolf fish is back to normal and wants to eat. I've noticed that when it becomes pale it's possibly because its trying to camouflage. It only does this when the wolf Cichlid is near and the wolf fish is planning an attack.

The dovii is doing fine it just knows to steer clear of the hoplias. It has some scrapes but overall healing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store