Bacterial or Parasite?

jeep07

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
US
Hi everyone, I would estimate my Frontosa is about 10 years old and I have had her since she was little. I started noticing her right eye getting small circles under the lens and I thought that was from an injury. This was four months ago. Then, the same eye got hazier and eventually turned white, while her left eye was unaffected. The right eye also got larger than the left. She then developed swimming problems, which looked like she had trouble seeing as she bumped into everything and could not find her food. She started hiding in the corner of the tank and would stay there for hours. I did not see anything wrong with her body. Her appetite is not what it used to be even though I use a PVC pipe to direct the food to her. Last month is when she started swimming erratically, surfing the walls of the aquarium, hitting the top glass, and swimming in circles. I noticed the top of her side fins have a whitish edge. Her poop was clear and stringy, but her latest poop was brown and looked normal. Now her left eye is getting hazy and the fin rot looks worse and has moved onto her tail fin. I tried API Furan 2 which she did not like...swimming erratically and hitting the top of the tank multiple times a day. I am trying API Fin and Body Cure now along with Melafix and Pimafix.I tried medicating the food and I feel she doesn't eat enough to benefit.

Does this sound bacterial and am I going about the correct route of treatment?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Any input is appreciated because I am running out of ideas of what to do.
Sorry to hear about the Frontosa. What is your water parameters? Please list them. Also what is your maintenance routine as far as water changes and filter maintenance.

jeep07

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
US
Sorry to hear about the Frontosa. What is your water parameters? Please list them. Also what is your maintenance routine as far as water changes and filter maintenance.
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5-20
GH-14 degrees
PH-7.4

75% water change every 7-12 days depending on my work schedule. I have always done water changes and am aware of the difference in PH and other parameters which I keep an eye on. Clean my filter with each water change

jeep07

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
US
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5-20
GH-14 degrees
PH-7.4

75% water change every 7-12 days depending on my work schedule. I have always done water changes and am aware of the difference in PH and other parameters which I keep an eye on. Clean my filter with each water change
*large water changes

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d suggest some neomycin and metronidazole. Add slowly till full dose is reached.

Reactions: tlindsey

jeep07

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
US
I’d suggest some neomycin and metronidazole. Add slowly till full dose is reached.
I am familiar with metro, but not with the first medication...does a specific fish medication have this ingredient? Also, what is the consenus of using two antibiotics together such as API General Cure and API Fin and Body Cure.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I am familiar with metro, but not with the first medication...does a specific fish medication have this ingredient? Also, what is the consenus of using two antibiotics together such as API General Cure and API Fin and Body Cure.
Believe it’s sold as seachem neoplex. The other meds work but may not cover mycobacterium.

jeep07

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
US
Believe it’s sold as seachem neoplex. The other meds work but may not cover mycobacterium.
The Frontosa's fin rot is getting worse and her side fins look worse to. Her poop today was yellowish. I noticed she isnt corner hiding as much, which should be a good sign, but her fins say otherwise. I do not have much experience with antibiotics. Generally, do fish show signs of recovery within a week of using antibiotics?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The Frontosa's fin rot is getting worse and her side fins look worse to. Her poop today was yellowish. I noticed she isnt corner hiding as much, which should be a good sign, but her fins say otherwise. I do not have much experience with antibiotics. Generally, do fish show signs of recovery within a week of using antibiotics?
It can and a week should see some results. The abx can cause probs for a already sick fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store