Where's the hobby taking you?

Rhykiru

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
VA
A house really is a game change IMHO when it comes to this hobby. And I know exactly what you mean, every house I looked at having room for a fishroom was a primary consideration. I personally looked for a basement because I wanted a place away; a man cave. I figured the girlfriend would pretty much control most of the house so I wanted a place of my own, a retreat where I could be a man unfettered. lol
Definitely, i'm sure! Knowing that I won't have to lug my aquariums and fish every few years to another location will allow for much more flexibility. I find myself looking for the "prime" locations for aquariums at any house I go to that it's become an inside joke with my fiancee. Pointing at a wall and saying "right there" and she knows exactly what i'm thinking about. Unfortunately, basements aren't common where I am, but maybe that's for the best. I don't think I could ever manage the upkeep of a true fish room with multiple racks of tanks.

Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Definitely, i'm sure! Knowing that I won't have to lug my aquariums and fish every few years to another location will allow for much more flexibility. I find myself looking for the "prime" locations for aquariums at any house I go to that it's become an inside joke with my fiancee. Pointing at a wall and saying "right there" and she knows exactly what i'm thinking about. Unfortunately, basements aren't common where I am, but maybe that's for the best. I don't think I could ever manage the upkeep of a true fish room with multiple racks of tanks.
I laughed out loud at your post "saying "right there" and she knows exactly what i'm thinking about." I had an ex who used to have to deal with me doing that but in my case I got an eye roll.

It is going to be a lot of work but I hink I'll enjoy it. I am hoping to construct the room accordingly to help make maintenance a little easier. Such as hopefully running a drip system and make sure I've got a slop sink nearby etc.

Good luck with your house search and fishy endeavors.

Reactions: Rhykiru

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Nice to read everybody's goals in the hobby and plans for the future.
The past couple of years I have shifted towards the dark side of the hobby.... reefkeeping. Currently have a new 40 gallon setup I posted about in the salt section. Have been enjoying it thoroughly, nice to have endless things to research. Not that I know it all with freshwater, far from it, but my freshwater tanks have felt like "autopilot" for a long time now, it's kind of nice to have something to fret over.
I don't have big tanks and big fish like I used to, don't have the space in small apartments I'll likely live in for the next decade or so. Eventually would like to have a large freshwater tank again, probably either a CA or SA naturalistic setup.

"pipe dream" years down the road when I've had enough of working for "the man", would be a small aquarium shop where I can tinker with display tanks all day

Rhykiru

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
VA
I laughed out loud at your post "saying "right there" and she knows exactly what i'm thinking about." I had an ex who used to have to deal with me doing that but in my case I got an eye roll.

It is going to be a lot of work but I hink I'll enjoy it. I am hoping to construct the room accordingly to help make maintenance a little easier. Such as hopefully running a drip system and make sure I've got a slop sink nearby etc.

Good luck with your house search and fishy endeavors.
Oh don't get me wrong.. it's still accompanied with an eye roll haha, but it's all in good fun (I think). I'm sure you'll enjoy it and that strong planning will go a long way in helping with maintenance. A drip system with a dedicated utility sink sounds like a must.

Thank you, and good luck with your fish room as well!

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Nice to read everybody's goals in the hobby and plans for the future.
The past couple of years I have shifted towards the dark side of the hobby.... reefkeeping. Currently have a new 40 gallon setup I posted about in the salt section. Have been enjoying it thoroughly, nice to have endless things to research. Not that I know it all with freshwater, far from it, but my freshwater tanks have felt like "autopilot" for a long time now, it's kind of nice to have something to fret over.
I don't have big tanks and big fish like I used to, don't have the space in small apartments I'll likely live in for the next decade or so. Eventually would like to have a large freshwater tank again, probably either a CA or SA naturalistic setup.

"pipe dream" years down the road when I've had enough of working for "the man", would be a small aquarium shop where I can tinker with display tanks all day
I had a feeling there was a disturbance within the force. lol Seriously that's awesome that you're trying your hand at reefkeeping. I hope to try my hand at salt as well. Maybe try a boxfish and fu manchu lionfish. And I'd love to have an octopus but I'm not sure how viable that is for me. I still fret over my fresh though, especially when it comes to filtration. I want to play around with UV, Hamburg Matten, etc. Plus like you mentioned I like tinkering with my displays.

Oh don't get me wrong.. it's still accompanied with an eye roll haha, but it's all in good fun (I think). I'm sure you'll enjoy it and that strong planning will go a long way in helping with maintenance. A drip system with a dedicated utility sink sounds like a must.

Thank you, and good luck with your fish room as well!
Lol at the eye roll and thanks man. I hope I've got some stuff to share in the near future.

Reactions: kno4te and Rhykiru

Catfish104

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
My dream at the moment is to have a 125 with a Fahka puffer, channel catfish, and possibly guppies. At the moment though I hope to be picking up a Congo spotted puffer as well as begin breeding some fish (guppies, cories and either pea puffers or Oto’s) in outdoor tubs.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
All I want right now is to set up my 2 20 talls and my 30, and maybe replace the 20 long I cracked in a little derimming incident. That's all I have left in terms of space and time before college. I'll worry about my dreams of saltwater after that

Reactions: koltsixx

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Good thread!

Got I think 13 tanks (5g - 625g ) running at the moment. I’m sitting on a little over 100 fish...

Initially thought bigger was always better, however finding a shortage of stuff smaller than 75g’s here...

Anywho, looking to do a little hobby breeding, also automate as many of the tanks as possible. I’m looking to put as few fish in the tanks as possible cutting down on Maintenance with 1-2 centerpiece fish per tank.

I’ve got some Pothos going, I’d like to expand that!

Only fish I’ve been looking for are an arrow and few scattered pleco. I’d like an ST however $3.5k is too much at this point ?

Cheers everyone!

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Good thread!

Got I think 13 tanks (5g - 625g ) running at the moment. I’m sitting on a little over 100 fish...

Initially thought bigger was always better, however finding a shortage of stuff smaller than 75g’s here...

Anywho, looking to do a little hobby breeding, also automate as many of the tanks as possible. I’m looking to put as few fish in the tanks as possible cutting down on Maintenance with 1-2 centerpiece fish per tank.

I’ve got some Pothos going, I’d like to expand that!

Only fish I’ve been looking for are an arrow and few scattered pleco. I’d like an ST however $3.5k is too much at this point ?

Cheers everyone!
ST? motorcycle?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store