¿?¿freshwater sump.2-55gallon

paragoned

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
Canada
I'm telling you... you NEED an overflow.
Let's say you put the hole below the water line on your siphons... When there's a power outtage, your siphons are no good anymore, that hole will have made sure of that (in order to avoid a flood in your sump)... But when your power comes back on, you'd have to be there at the exact moment ready to restart your siphon or else you'll end up with a burnt out pump. You may think that's easy enough, but when all this happens while you're away at work/school/etc. even just to the washroom, or if it happens at night while you're sleeping... you can't do anything about it.

Secondly, it may just take a while for the difference in flow rates to become apparent. You said you watched for a couple of hours and the water line was stable. Though I commend you for the effort it took to achieve that with just siphons and a pump, I can still guarantee you that given a long enough period, you WILL see a difference.
And if you've been away, as I stated above, and you don't see it... You could end up with a flooded sump and an empty aquarium (or a burnt out pump.)

Read my other post again. You NEED an overflow. Otherwise, the only other SAFE ways I can think of that would only use a pump and siphons are to either use a float switch or a set up a DIY canister filter.
Overflows are still simpler IMO.

xboroinc

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
New York
thanx man. SO i NEED an overflow. cool i am going to either make one or just buy one. prob just buy one once i have the over flow then there shouldnt b a problem ??¿¿

xboroinc

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
New York
JAFRIAS.....BRO can u read ?¿ not trying to b rude..but bro i just said im gettin a sump in the post befor yours. have some good feed back not some thing i already know please thnx

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
is it just me or dose everyone head hurt while trying to follow this... if it wasn't for the pics I'd have no clue what has been done...

Do this... look at the thread about overflows and read it... twice and then a few more times so you get an understanding of how overflows work... your current setup is going to cause you ALOT of problems

Building one isn't hard as you'll see, but you need to have a couple of things which your current setup doesn't have... like a way to keep it's prime, and a Siphon break that isn't so low that it'll flood your house before it works.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store