“Lemon” Oscar

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Picked this fish up today at the LFS (along with some silver dollars). Setting up a new South American 125 gal and was looking for an albino O but they had this one. Never seen one in person or at LFS, so I thought I’d see how it grew out. I really don’t expect it to stay yellow I guess? But if it ends up looking like an tiger albino like I suspect that will be fine by me. He will be going in with the group of 4 SD and a blue acara (and probably a couple small plecos) for now. Probably will add another 4-7” at (full grown) cichlid, but I don’t know what that will be yet. Maybe a GT, we’ll see.

48A62ECD-5271-4DCC-B244-58833DB24380.jpeg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Picked this fish up today at the LFS (along with some silver dollars). Setting up a new South American 125 gal and was looking for an albino O but they had this one. Never seen one in person or at LFS, so I thought I’d see how it grew out. I really don’t expect it to stay yellow I guess? But if it ends up looking like an tiger albino like I suspect that will be fine by me. He will be going in with the group of 4 SD and a blue acara (and probably a couple small plecos) for now. Probably will add another 4-7” at (full grown) cichlid, but I don’t know what that will be yet. Maybe a GT, we’ll see.

View attachment 1448170
It's should stay anywhere between yellow to a light orange in color. It may get some black in the edges of its fins but that's just the natural color trying to resurface. I had one about a year ago before my 8pg sprung a leak and I had to re-home him and several other fish. This is him at 8in and his name was Goldie lol. Btw I would advise ya not to get a GT for that tank set up, 1. ya may end up with the acara and GT pairing up and if that happens ya can basically kiss your Oscar good bye and 2. even if the GT and acara don't pair up there's still a good chance that the GT would bully the Oscar to death. Also GT's get a bit bigger then 7in max, 7in max is closer to the blue acara's max size rather then the GT. GT's can grow upto 10-14in fully grown.

MVIMG_20190216_004841138.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

Rusty91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
Germany
It's should stay anywhere between yellow to a light orange in color. It may get some black in the edges of its fins but that's just the natural color trying to resurface. I had one about a year ago before my 8pg sprung a leak and I had to re-home him and several other fish. This is him at 8in and his name was Goldie lol.

View attachment 1448171
I‘m no expert, but isn‘t this called red albino? Looks like mine and I bought him as „red albino oscar“
0AF924E8-043C-41B6-A880-089382E4265F.jpeg

Always thought lemons are an extra type, but maybe I‘m wrong

Reactions: biguebs

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I‘m no expert, but isn‘t this called red albino? Looks like mine and I bought him as „red albino oscar“
View attachment 1448172

Lemons are just another color morph of the red tiger Oscar. Same thing with white Oscars, black Oscars, zebra Oscars and albino/lutino Oscars. All of em are just color morphs of 1 specie. Lemon Oscars are just one of the newest morphs out on the market. They were just selectively bred for lighter and lighter coloration over time. Mine started out yellow and slowly turned a light golden orange color over time. Blueberry Oscars on the other hand are just regular red tiger Oscars that were dyed a light blueish grey color, this process also kills over 60% of the fish it's done to and will eventually fade away like an old tattoo.

Reactions: Rusty91

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
It's should stay anywhere between yellow to a light orange in color. It may get some black in the edges of its fins but that's just the natural color trying to resurface. I had one about a year ago before my 8pg sprung a leak and I had to re-home him and several other fish. This is him at 8in and his name was Goldie lol. Btw I would advise ya not to get a GT for that tank set up, 1. ya may end up with the acara and GT pairing up and if that happens ya can basically kiss your Oscar good bye and 2. even if the GT and acara don't pair up there's still a good chance that the GT would bully the Oscar to death. Also GT's get a bit bigger then 7in max, 7in max is closer to the blue acara's max size rather then the GT. GT's can grow upto 10-14in fully grown.

View attachment 1448171
Yeah I think I agree on the GT. I don’t think I’ll be able to get myself off the fence... going for a tank that I don’t have to deal with combatants (hopefully).

View attachment 1448172

Lemons are just another color morph of the red tiger Oscar. Same thing with white Oscars, black Oscars, zebra Oscars and albino/lutino Oscars. All of em are just color morphs of 1 specie. Lemon Oscars are just one of the newest morphs out on the market. They were just selectively bred for lighter and lighter coloration over time. Mine started out yellow and slowly turned a light golden orange color over time. Blueberry Oscars on the other hand are just regular red tiger Oscars that were dyed a light blueish grey color, this process also kills over 60% of the fish it's done to and will eventually fade away like an old tattoo.
Yeah I was looking for an albino tiger and I am really operating on the assumption that this one will resemble one down the road. But if it stays lemon, bonus! It was one of those “I’d wish I had grabbed it” later if i didn’t. Lol. To me, all these “new” colors are just hype and marketing from the above referenced line breeding. It seems to be very effective on the novice fish keeper anyway.

Boiled down to the fact that it looked pretty healthy to me and I knew it wasn’t dyed this color.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Yeah I think I agree on the GT. I don’t think I’ll be able to get myself off the fence... going for a tank that I don’t have to deal with combatants (hopefully).

Yeah I was looking for an albino tiger and I am really operating on the assumption that this one will resemble one down the road. But if it stays lemon, bonus! It was one of those “I’d wish I had grabbed it” later if i didn’t. Lol. To me, all these “new” colors are just hype and marketing from the above referenced line breeding. It seems to be very effective on the novice fish keeper anyway.

Boiled down to the fact that it looked pretty healthy to me and I knew it wasn’t dyed this color.
As far as I know blueberry Oscars are the only ones really died that color. Well except for some super red Oscars. Some super reds are naturally line bred like that while others sadly get juiced to meet the requirements. Only down side to super reds vs blueberry is that atleast with the blueberry you know he'll eventually fade out to his natural colors while with the super reds it's kind of a toss up since line bred and juiced ones look the same and 1 will keep it's bright red color while the other will not.

Personally I'd love to see pure black Oscars become more available. Idky but for some reason I just love the look of an all black Oscar with no pattern. Had a baby one once where his colors were cut in half, top half was zebra pattern while the bottom half was red tiger. It was really neat seeing this clearly visible cut off point between the 2 colors/patterns. Wish I had a pic of him but I had him for a week before my larger Oscar decided he looked like a tasty snack. Lol least to say I learned my lesson about Oscars with smaller fish.

Reactions: biguebs
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store