09-2018 Rare fish Stock list/ some never imported before

Asian Exotics

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
South East Asia
fugupuff fugupuff

Tor tambra "the true Malaysian red masheer" 7", 10", 12" wild hand caught specimens. This is the most expensive fish from the country. This is 1000 times rarer than the Asian arowana, their scales will have the potential to turn the same color, with shades of red and blue. The fun part is how you raise them. The reddest ones come from area where they eat wild figs and flowers. $600-1000 each. Individual experiences with final outcome of the product will vary, they're easy to keep and feed. I will keep a group myself, and if anyone accepts the challenge to see who can grow the reddest ones with me, the game is on!

I hereby challenge all the hobbyists to read this: We should try to
Neolissochilus benasi - Lao Cai Province/ Red river basin, Kungming China. Also super rare and amazing colors., with gold and iridescent scales and a crooked black line along the body makes an amazing display.
Tor tambra "the true Malaysian red masheer" 7", 10", 12" wild hand caught specimens. This is the most expensive fish from the country. This is 1000 times rarer than the Asian arowana, their scales will have the potential to turn the same color, with shades of red and blue. The fun part is how you raise them. The reddest ones come from area where they eat wild figs and flowers. $600-1000 each. Individual experiences with final outcome of the product will vary, they're easy to keep and feed. I will keep a group myself, and if anyone accepts the challenge to see who can grow the reddest ones with me, the game is on!
This is my first post, so please be kind and gentle. Hi fugupuff fugupuff , i have read your experiences with Mahseers and it seems you have a preference to the Malaysian Mahseer which is where I happen to be from. I'm not new to fish keeping, but new to Mahseers. Fell in love with them. My latest project is to clear my most prized tank (due to its location in my house) to populate them with between 5-8 of these beautiful fishes. I intend to acquire those only 20 inches and above as I have read enough times to be convince that mahseers will most likely not grow further in almost all tank environment short of a huge public aquarium or for people who suffer daily stress over how to spend their money for each passing day.

I have placed orders for the Thai blue mahseer which should be on their way now and asked some people to source Tor Pituitora, and Neo Benasi. The conditions are the same as mentioned minimum 20 inches and above. Weirdly, while I have easy access to the Malaysian Red Mahseer, I have not purchased one nor seen any specimen that I will part my money with.

The reason is that while they are extremely beautiful fishes in their wild environment.

12312_120428414642770_100000268361304_213422_2966432_n.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Their colouration while in captive will fade and in some cases, I'm hard pressed to find any hint of red. As I do not have any mahseers, I'd have to borrow from other hobbyists. Please do not misunderstand that i am saying the mahseer is inferior, i just wish to learn how to bring out the best in the red mahseer. In captive, the usual ones i see are as below :

Screenshot_20191102-173648_WhatsApp.jpgFB_IMG_1572442523562.jpgFB_IMG_1571569098339.jpgFB_IMG_1571569107758.jpgFB_IMG_1571538267920.jpg

While it is true there are many water bodies that has the red mahseer, most local hobbyists believe the best comes from the state Trengganu. And the creme de la creme is from the river Tembat which flows into the Kenyir lake (which also has many red mahseer, but what they lose in colour, it is made up by the beautiful shape of their body). Tembat mahseers will fetch double or even up to 5 times the price of the red mahseer from Kenyir Lake or other rivers which are all red/or at least some of their parts are.

Anyway, I have seen the pictures of the red mahseer you keep, I'd fall off my chair if my butt and physics made it possible. You have developed one of the most beautiful red mahseers I have seem for captive ones. This is my favourite:

Red-Mahseer.jpg

If I see a captive red mahseer with this quality, I'm definitely putting my money down. It blows my mind!! I have one question for you. Can you teach me how??? Haha. I can see the deep red colour, I can also see the golden shine on the scales above the lateral line. If you're from this part of the world, I don't think I'll be convinced your fish isn't a freshly caught fish from the wild. This what's keeping me from buying a big red mahseer although I see them in LFS all around me.

I have done lots of thinking on how I can develop the true beauty potential of the red mahseer (most scientific researches done are focused on captive breeding but not fish development), so most of my theories are from my own guesses or predictions.

I have seen enough specimen to conclude that the mahseer with the most intense red are from Tembat River. Not only are the red most intense, they seem to fade the least and is also slower to fade.

Tembat river feeds Kenyir Lake which is a huge lake that has also many other rivers flowing into it, but strangely it is not easy at all to find another red mahseer to exhibit the same resilience of the red in the mahseer.

I have various theories:
1. It could be a different sub species that are spawning in Tembat River..however, the identical appearance and the fact that when the fish leave Tembat River, which I assume they do makes this theory not convincing.
2. The minerals of the riverbed or parts of the forest where the water start to accumulate before forming Tembat River is the key to their special red, but with fugupuff fugupuff raising them away from the river may be enough to dispel this theory.
3. The food that the mahseer eat that can only be found in Tembat River could be the key to their special red. In this case, I highly suspect the food will be plant and not animal. Then again fugupuff fugupuff pictures also may be able to dispel this theory.

While I am not giving up trying to find how I can develop the colour of the red mahseer so that it look as darn near as possible as if it was just caught from the wild 2 minutes ago, I may have to contend with the fourth theory that just crossed my mind :

Theory no. 4: God isn't fair.

On a sidenote, as I am new to keeping mahseer (the closest I can relate to is the keeping of Japanese koi in my pond), can you kindly enlighten me with what other mahseer falls into your : Damn, this mahseer is beautiful?

So far, I have only ordered or looking to order Tor Putitora, Thai blue Mahseer, Neo Benasi and still looking for the right red mahseer.

I know this is an extremely long post, and I still wonder I didn't end up as a writer or journalist when I'm free.

Many thanks in advance.

SourGworms

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2011
around
fugupuff fugupuff

This is my first post, so please be kind and gentle. Hi fugupuff fugupuff , i have read your experiences with Mahseers and it seems you have a preference to the Malaysian Mahseer which is where I happen to be from. I'm not new to fish keeping, but new to Mahseers. Fell in love with them. My latest project is to clear my most prized tank (due to its location in my house) to populate them with between 5-8 of these beautiful fishes. I intend to acquire those only 20 inches and above as I have read enough times to be convince that mahseers will most likely not grow further in almost all tank environment short of a huge public aquarium or for people who suffer daily stress over how to spend their money for each passing day.

I have placed orders for the Thai blue mahseer which should be on their way now and asked some people to source Tor Pituitora, and Neo Benasi. The conditions are the same as mentioned minimum 20 inches and above. Weirdly, while I have easy access to the Malaysian Red Mahseer, I have not purchased one nor seen any specimen that I will part my money with.

The reason is that while they are extremely beautiful fishes in their wild environment.

View attachment 1393816

View attachment 1393814

Their colouration while in captive will fade and in some cases, I'm hard pressed to find any hint of red. As I do not have any mahseers, I'd have to borrow from other hobbyists. Please do not misunderstand that i am saying the mahseer is inferior, i just wish to learn how to bring out the best in the red mahseer. In captive, the usual ones i see are as below :

View attachment 1393823View attachment 1393822View attachment 1393818View attachment 1393820View attachment 1393821

While it is true there are many water bodies that has the red mahseer, most local hobbyists believe the best comes from the state Trengganu. And the creme de la creme is from the river Tembat which flows into the Kenyir lake (which also has many red mahseer, but what they lose in colour, it is made up by the beautiful shape of their body). Tembat mahseers will fetch double or even up to 5 times the price of the red mahseer from Kenyir Lake or other rivers which are all red/or at least some of their parts are.

Anyway, I have seen the pictures of the red mahseer you keep, I'd fall off my chair if my butt and physics made it possible. You have developed one of the most beautiful red mahseers I have seem for captive ones. This is my favourite:

View attachment 1393812

If I see a captive red mahseer with this quality, I'm definitely putting my money down. It blows my mind!! I have one question for you. Can you teach me how??? Haha. I can see the deep red colour, I can also see the golden shine on the scales above the lateral line. If you're from this part of the world, I don't think I'll be convinced your fish isn't a freshly caught fish from the wild. This what's keeping me from buying a big red mahseer although I see them in LFS all around me.

I have done lots of thinking on how I can develop the true beauty potential of the red mahseer (most scientific researches done are focused on captive breeding but not fish development), so most of my theories are from my own guesses or predictions.

I have seen enough specimen to conclude that the mahseer with the most intense red are from Tembat River. Not only are the red most intense, they seem to fade the least and is also slower to fade.

Tembat river feeds Kenyir Lake which is a huge lake that has also many other rivers flowing into it, but strangely it is not easy at all to find another red mahseer to exhibit the same resilience of the red in the mahseer.

I have various theories:
1. It could be a different sub species that are spawning in Tembat River..however, the identical appearance and the fact that when the fish leave Tembat River, which I assume they do makes this theory not convincing.
2. The minerals of the riverbed or parts of the forest where the water start to accumulate before forming Tembat River is the key to their special red, but with fugupuff fugupuff raising them away from the river may be enough to dispel this theory.
3. The food that the mahseer eat that can only be found in Tembat River could be the key to their special red. In this case, I highly suspect the food will be plant and not animal. Then again fugupuff fugupuff pictures also may be able to dispel this theory.

While I am not giving up trying to find how I can develop the colour of the red mahseer so that it look as darn near as possible as if it was just caught from the wild 2 minutes ago, I may have to contend with the fourth theory that just crossed my mind :

Theory no. 4: God isn't fair.

On a sidenote, as I am new to keeping mahseer (the closest I can relate to is the keeping of Japanese koi in my pond), can you kindly enlighten me with what other mahseer falls into your : Damn, this mahseer is beautiful?

So far, I have only ordered or looking to order Tor Putitora, Thai blue Mahseer, Neo Benasi and still looking for the right red mahseer.

I know this is an extremely long post, and I still wonder I didn't end up as a writer or journalist when I'm free.

Many thanks in advance.
Interesting read and theories, email him and he will get back to you for sure about it

Reactions: Asian Exotics
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store