1/2" (12mm) acrylic's structural limits, bracing

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Concrete in-wall build of 36" tall, 7'6" long and 17" wide: a little under 250USGal.
1/2" acrylic is available locally - is this a doable option?

If so, bracing thoughts/advice? Other clever engineering?
If so, thoughts on securing to masonry? eg. drill & screw? eg. epoxy? eg. angle-iron frame?

I've done plenty of home-builds, rebuilds & feel I "understand" glass, but I've not worked with acrylic before. Somehow I get the impression that it works like marine ply, but appreciate that this is very unlikely to be correct...

Thanks,

Andrew
PS/Note: specific and repeated thanks to Fishdance for tolerating this ongoing neurotic thesis to developing island materials availabilities & generally overthinking.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Lepisosteus Lepisosteus ElTofi ElTofi

aotechs

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
Columbus, OH
1/2" thick is used for 24" tall aquariums. 3/4" thick can be used for 30" heights with 1" being advised to minimize bowing. These guidelines are assuming proper bracing is used on the top panel. Extremely long aquariums may need additional material thickness to avoid bowing.

If I ever build or purchase a new aquarium, my next one will be a 30" height with 1" thick acrylic. My current aquarium has 3/4" front and rear panels that bow and distort the fish a little bit. It isn't a major issue though as most people do not notice.

Reactions: Lepisosteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store