1 canistor 3 tanks?

hardb0iled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Australia
fishnutham said:
thahts the idea now does the bulkhead have to be bigger then the canistor pipeing or the same diamter
Definitely make it slightly bigger, you want the bulk head to flow more water than the filter so you dont get any problems with water backing up in one tank and causing an overflow ;)

ogre929

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2005
England
the easiest bulkheads to find out there are 1 inch or maybe 3/4 inch. but finding a fitting that will fit 1/2 inch tubing is a tough thing. Check out yoru local hardware shop and see what they have as far as pvc goes. Its really your best way to find out your options for what types of hosing and fittings you need or can get.

ogre929

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2005
England
Oh crap that's right, they're glass. Yes you can get hole saws for glass that size. I however don't know where. I've only drilled acrylic tanks and rubbermaid tubs. Also, 3/4 is the INSIDE diameter of the bulkhead, not the outside. The holesaw I use to use for doing 1" bulkheads was 1.5 inches in diameter

ogre929

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2005
England
It sure does. Can't life just be simple? hahahaha who am I kidding. of course not.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

If you hook the tanks up in a row, all the dirt from the first tank will flow into the second tank and all goes into the third before it reaches the filter. That's not practical. However, you could split the inlet and outlet and have the filter draw water from all tanks and return water into all tanks. Still, you'd need water bridges between the tanks to prevent accidental overflow if the hoses on one side are clogged a bit more.

However, I strongly suggest to use three smaller canisters rather than one big filter:
1) if one small filter breaks, you still have two tanks running to house your fish
2) If the big filter breaks, all tanks are screwed.

HarleyK

ps
choose Eheim :thumbsup:

fishnutham

Needs More Room!
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Brantford,Ont,canada
thanks harley eheim is always my choice have a house full of them hmm didnt consider the dirt delemia damn i have tons of filters and power heads my problem is outlets i have a huge fire hazard waiting to happen just trying to eliminate a couple more plugs ah frig it i'll take out some more fire insurance :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store