1000 Gallon Plywood tank build

captne1212

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2012
connecticut
Alright here is the deal, I have read alot of threads and done alot of research on plywood tanks, and the one thing i have come up with is that there is so much uncertainty in whether products like pond armor and liquid rubber stand the test of time. So i have been trying to come up with a sure fire method (and it is total overkill but as long as It works).

This is going to be my winter project but im posting the thread now to give people time to pick it apart and offer there advice. The tank is going to be a built-in so there is also alot of other preperation to do outside of the tank itself, also i have yet to decide on how i want to filter it, but my first concern is getting the tank water tight.

I'm building a 8'x4'x4' 3/4 inch plywood box doubled up so 1 1/2 inch total , it will also be framed on the outside with 2x4 construction. The inside i'm going to seal with drylock to insure no moisture comes in contact with the wood. Next this will be lined with a 40 mil pond liner (havent decide if im going to use a adheisive to glue it down yet) . Then next i will be using 3/8 pvc sheets that are 8'x4' so that there will only be seems in the corners and at the joints at the bottom. I'm planning on solvet welding the pvc together to make another water tight barrier and then silcone them as well. I know that this is overkill, by using the pvc sheets i will have a surface to silcone my viewing window without having to figure out how to make it water tight with the pond liner.

I'm doing this a native tank (connecticut), so i will be stocking it with largemouth bass, smallmouth, bass bluegill, and whatever inhabits my native waters, but i want this tank to be around for many years so i'm taking every precaution on making sure it is successful.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
sounds like a sketchy idea and ill explain why. if you have a lot of basically seperate layers, your tank is only as strong as the strongest layer. its like using double pane glass on a tank. 1/2" +1/2" is nowhere near as strong as 1" would be. where you have a flexible barrier(pondliner) between pvc sheet and plywood, all pressure is on 3/8in pvc. if that fails then all pressure is on a pondliner inside plywood. id look much more into the good ole plywood fiberglass combo and add layers to that. its basically just plywood being reinforced with fiberglass where they are bonded it add structural rigidity. 4' is a lot of water pressure.

i havent built a tank this way and Im sure you have done your homework. this is just me being skeptical of an unproven method as ive never seen or heard of a tank being sucessfully built this way. although pond armor and wetsuit and the like havent been proven to hold forever, fiberglass is a tried and true method of adding strength and waterproofing

captne1212

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2012
connecticut
sounds like a sketchy idea and ill explain why. if you have a lot of basically seperate layers, your tank is only as strong as the strongest layer. its like using double pane glass on a tank. 1/2" +1/2" is nowhere near as strong as 1" would be. where you have a flexible barrier(pondliner) between pvc sheet and plywood, all pressure is on 3/8in pvc. if that fails then all pressure is on a pondliner inside plywood. id look much more into the good ole plywood fiberglass combo and add layers to that. its basically just plywood being reinforced with fiberglass where they are bonded it add structural rigidity. 4' is a lot of water pressure.

i havent built a tank this way and Im sure you have done your homework. this is just me being skeptical of an unproven method as ive never seen or heard of a tank being sucessfully built this way. although pond armor and wetsuit and the like havent been proven to hold forever, fiberglass is a tried and true method of adding strength and waterproofing
You make a really great point, and this is exactly why I wanted to post this early , to get some feed back and do some point and counter-point... I guess my theory was that there is strenght in numbers, so if there was a leak in any layer there was a backup. Having said that I had a great conversation with a tech from west systems today, and totally changed my view point on alot of my theories. I think i'm going to work with the west systems epoxy on a small scale just to get familiar with it and test it out, and if all goes well i may just abandon my initial plan and go with west system epoxy.

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
I am just the king of overkill, you are correct there is no need for two layers of plywood...
Nothing wrong with overkill as long as you don't get into the price range of an all acrylic tank. Of course at 4' deep I think you'd have a long way to go.

By far you'll be better taking the cost of 1) the extra layer of plywood, 2) the drylok and 3) the pond liner and putting that money into thicker sheets of pvc. By far putting the solvent welded PVC over the liner is the plan that will give you the most problems, IMO.

If you do use PVC be sure to buy solid PVC and not the sign board PVC with the foamed interior. If you have any questions about this when you start your build then post back.

Silicone does not bond great with PVC so attaching a window may be a problem.

It also means you can't silicone the interior edges.

I think there is a company in Europe that makes large plywood tanks by vacuum bagging solid gray PVC sheets onto plywood. I don't recall the name of the company but they have been discussed here on MFK before. Might see if you can dig further into their methods.

Somebody here did this but with ABS sheets and used Goop in the corners. I assume they attached the window with silicone but I don't remember.

captne1212

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2012
connecticut
I am really thinking I'm going with the west systems epoxy after speaking with the tech guy he really sold me on it. I'm thinking of building a smaller tank like a 55 gallon just as a test for myself and the project before I go full scale. It seems like the smart way to go..

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store