1100 set up

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Sort of a small update. I’ve been working on the Den side or viewing side of the fish tank room recently. This room is my “man cave” I guess.
Some details of the room: I built a 4X8 plywood table topper that sits on top of an existing table to make it larger for board games. Inside this table I put two hexagon shaped dice trays so everyone sitting at the table has access to the dice. The top of the dice trays are covered with 3/8th acrylic that was a cover for the 1100. I can cover the dice trays when not in use for dinner party’s or poker games.
Halfway up the walls going around the room you will see black painted crown molding. This is actually a ceiling G gauge train I built to go around the room. I put “tunnels” on the left and right side of the 1100 so the trains will appear in the room, do a lap, then disappear behind the tank. Then another train will come out maybe going a different direction and do a lap and so on. I currently have 3 trains. I will have room for up to 7 trains I think.
I ended up painting the wood beams on the ceiling black as well. It made the room come together. I really like the look now.
It’s fun combining some of my hobbies: fish, trains, and board games. I hope you guys enjoyed this thread. It was a pleasure sharing it with you.BCCFE926-CBDF-4D33-A45D-047868851FFA.jpeg

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The room looks great and I agree the black beams and train track match well. I like the way you combined your love for fish and trains and those tunnel cut outs in the wall above the fish tank are genius!

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
wait, does the train go round?

?

Reactions: Deadeye

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
wait, does the train go round?

?
Yes! The train goes completely around the room and then behind the fish tank. The molding above the fish tank is just there for looks, it doesn’t actually have track on it. Below is another picture of more tunnels and molding not used for track just for looks to complete the room.2875EB48-B280-4F1C-9769-C943D92676E5.jpeg

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Wow this is outstanding. I hope the thread is not done now, please keep updating so we can live vicariously through you. Lol

the train tunnels and track is brilliant. I have some friends who have dedicated train rooms that they have spent years and 100k$ + on. They even get the little towns and decorations paint them. I didn’t realize it was such a big thing. One of these guys, is one of the only people who understand my passion for the fish lol.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Wow this is outstanding. I hope the thread is not done now, please keep updating so we can live vicariously through you. Lol

the train tunnels and track is brilliant. I have some friends who have dedicated train rooms that they have spent years and 100k$ + on. They even get the little towns and decorations paint them. I didn’t realize it was such a big thing. One of these guys, is one of the only people who understand my passion for the fish lol.
Yeah, it’s an interesting hobby and always growing. I never run out of stuff to do. I’ve had some of these trains from the late ‘80’s. The plan was to build a railroad empire in the back yard. Constant moving kept them stored away. Fast forward to about 4 years ago when I met my GF, she’s a huge Christmas freak! She encouraged me to put the trains up around the tree. That was all I needed.
I plan on making tunnel portals with styrofoam. I will carve stone or brick patterns in with a hot soldering iron. GF wants to put Christmas lights between the wall and the track so the train will pass in front of the lights. Should look cool. The lights will be on a timer and turn on a couple hours every night.
Okay I will keep you guys updated on all of it. I admit I do enjoy “showing off” a little.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store