120 Gallon Tall Tank Stocking

BaenM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2024
Hi everyone, i am new to this forum but have kept aquariums for 1-2 years, i have a 120 gallon tall tank (140cm wide x70cm tall x50cm deep) i currently have 5 geophagus tapajos but tbh am getting a bit discouraged and i think i may like to try some of the other fish out there. I was maybe thinking a flowerhorn, jaguar only tank, or maybe a south american community, Jack Dempsey, Green Terror, Green Texas e.t.c. I was looking for recommendations for stocking anybody have any suggestions? thanks

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi everyone, i am new to this forum but have kept aquariums for 1-2 years, i have a 120 gallon tall tank (140cm wide x70cm tall x50cm deep) i currently have 5 geophagus tapajos but tbh am getting a bit discouraged and i think i may like to try some of the other fish out there. I was maybe thinking a flowerhorn, jaguar only tank, or maybe a south american community, Jack Dempsey, Green Terror, Green Texas e.t.c. I was looking for recommendations for stocking anybody have any suggestions? thanks
Welcome aboard

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Perhaps you could do a single fish like one of the options you mentioned, or you could do a Jack Dempsey with some dithers such as silver dollars or Buenos Aires tetras. You could also add some catfish such as Striped Raphael Catfish (my personal favorite ;) ).

Also, welcome to the fun group!

Reactions: BaenM

BaenM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2024
Perhaps you could do a single fish like one of the options you mentioned, or you could do a Jack Dempsey with some dithers such as silver dollars or Buenos Aires tetras. You could also add some catfish such as Striped Raphael Catfish (my personal favorite ;) ).

Also, welcome to the fun group!
Have you ever kept a single large aggresive fish or maybe even a pair? if so how did you like them? or did you prefer a community.
Thanks

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Have you ever kept a single large aggresive fish or maybe even a pair? if so how did you like them? or did you prefer a community.
Thanks
I have kept a pair of aggressive deep water haps (not a good idea in the tank size I have, so I had to get rid of them, although they were incredible fish). I loved them, although they were worrisome with their behavior, but that was because I admittedly had them in too small of a tank, and on top of that, I had other fish in there with them.

I vouch for communities, mostly because there is more variety. Currently, I have a discus centered community with discus, dwarf acaras, gouramis, Striped Raphs, and more. I love this because I have a bunch of fish I enjoy, I feel like single fish tanks can become boring over time since you are just looking at the same fish constantly, no matter how beautiful they are. Then again, it sometimes has to be the only option (like in the Aba Aba Knifefish or Dovii), and that's ok. Its honestly your preference, but personally, I would go for a community tank.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Could you post a pic of your setup OP? It would make it easier to determine what fish you could have.

BaenM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2024
I have kept a pair of aggressive deep water haps (not a good idea in the tank size I have, so I had to get rid of them, although they were incredible fish). I loved them, although they were worrisome with their behavior, but that was because I admittedly had them in too small of a tank, and on top of that, I had other fish in there with them.

I vouch for communities, mostly because there is more variety. Currently, I have a discus centered community with discus, dwarf acaras, gouramis, Striped Raphs, and more. I love this because I have a bunch of fish I enjoy, I feel like single fish tanks can become boring over time since you are just looking at the same fish constantly, no matter how beautiful they are. Then again, it sometimes has to be the only option (like in the Aba Aba Knifefish or Dovii), and that's ok. Its honestly your preference, but personally, I would go for a community tank.
What size tank is the discus community? and also what is the full stocking list as i saw someone selling 5/6 cm red turqoise discus for 30 AUD each which i cheap they are also very lovely looking fish.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
A 140 cm tank is a bit of a short territorial footprint for many of the cichlids you list, unless you stocked with just a pair.
Especially the North Americans, like Parachromis (jaguar), or Herichthys (Texas).
That size tank might be OK for a pair of Rocio (JDs), and some non-cichlid dither fish, but hardly enough for 2 species of adult cichlids.
Height really doesn't help, unless you are considering angels, or maybe severums, as far a S Americans go.

BaenM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2024
Has Anyone kept Discus community? I could maybe keep the geo's and add some discus and maybe some rainbows or other dither fish, i would also re-scape my tank as i never properly scaped it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store