120G african cichlid tank 1st time

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
My girlfriends uncle just passed from cancer and his wife can no longer care for his 120g (4ft) african cichlid tank that hes had for years. It has i believe 7or8 haps and peacocks but not positive in it and we are going to take the tank. It has an fx6 and a couple. large sponges running for filtration. Question is can more fish be added or am is the tank full? I will attach a pic and maybe you guys can tell me what kind of fish you see.

View attachment 1457311
Sorry for your loss
But absolutely more can and in my opinion should be added. Depending on size, I would have 20-25 haps in that tank
I just moved my haps out of my 75 and into my 120. Here’s a vid. They’re not full size yet, but this should give you an idea.

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
Closer pics of the fish would help with identifying them. But as mentioned, there looks to be some decent sized fish. If the fish are living together peacefully, I wouldn't change anything, adding fish could upset the peace.

Also, I don't see an fx6 in the pics.
My condolences I definitely agree with the above about not adding anymore fish.
That's a very nice tank you have acquired A AR115 . Sorry about the circumstances. Those are some sizable fish in that tank. My African experience is limited to Mbuna, but it looks you might disrupt the harmony in that tank if you were to add more fish like others have said. GL

Reactions: tlindsey

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
as mentioned, there looks to be some decent sized fish. If the fish are living together peacefully, I wouldn't change anything, adding fish could upset the peace.
Plus one. I like 12 males in a 48" tank if the fish mature less than or equal to six inches.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The long slender light blue one, mid shot (although its hard to tell from this distance) looks to me like Champsochromis caeruleous.
Males can reach 15" or more, so depending what size it is now, it may have some growing to do.
So I agree with others that say the tank might be sufficiently stocked as is.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
The long slender light blue one, mid shot (although its hard to tell from this distance) looks to me like Champsochromis caeruleous.
Males can reach 15" or more, so depending what size it is now, it may have some growing to do.
So I agree with others that say the tank might be sufficiently stocked as is.
It does indeed look like a champ, very large fish. I see another big one that could possibly be a fossorochromis.

Reactions: Joshuakahan

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
The silver / grey hap with the black bar parallel to the dorsal fin and a black spot on the gill plate looks like a female Lichnochromis acuticeps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store