125 Native Stocking Ideas?

appleton71

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2018
Appleton, WI
I've kept many types of fish over the years including fresh and saltwater. Now I want to try something different. I just tore down my 125 saltwater tank and built it into a wall between the laundry room and rec room in my basement. I want to give freshwater natives a try but I can find very little info. Can anyone give me some stocking ideas? I'd like to keep it fairly peaceful and avoid anything that could outgrow the tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
Lots of North American natives at Jonah's Aquarium.

I think you could have some fun using a combination of shiners, minnows, darters and pygmy sunfish. I would check with Jonah's to see which fish shoal together because a shoal of 8-12 schooling fish could be your centerpiece, with a few extras around the margins.

appleton71

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2018
Appleton, WI
I've had Jonah's bookmarked for a while now. Definitely the best selection I've seen for natives. At first I was thinking one or two bigger fish with a few others but I like your idea better. A shoal would be a great centerpiece.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
The local fish in the states are quite pretty, I find stream tanks to be highly enjoyable since they bring out some incredible behaviour in the fish! Darters would be my vote

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Temperature won't be a problem as I've never seen my basement above 70 degrees. If the pumps and other equipment add too much temp I have a chiller left over from my saltwater setup.
Great to hear definitely get a group of Rainbow Darter they are very entertaining non stop lol. I miss the group I had unfortunately they started dying when the air conditioner went down in the summer here. If I put them in my basement instead of the first floor the Darter's probably would have survived. I got my group from Jonahs Aquarium Mark was a pleasure of doing business with and fish arrived healthy and alive.

Reactions: Red Cichlids

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Great to hear definitely get a group of Rainbow Darter they are very entertaining non stop lol. I miss the group I had unfortunately they started dying when the air conditioner went down in the summer here. If I put them in my basement instead of the first floor the Darter's probably would have survived. I got my group from Jonahs Aquarium Mark was a pleasure of doing business with and fish arrived healthy and alive.
This was my group

Reactions: Red Cichlids
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store