125g; thousands loss; house a mess; 12 year old curse

carcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Fisher Branch, Manitoba, Canada
I also have older tanks and have had good luck so far (I don't think that glass ages but the silicone may need replacing eventually). I had my 60 gallon sump crack the back panel a while back right after a water change (water was too high in sump and no bracing on tank).

At least I was there to shut off the water from the main tank so no fish loss. That would have been the worst part by far. Wow, I'm really sorry for your loss, it must have been a beautiful tank. I'm sure the fish were very well cared for and had a good life in your hands.

Brian Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2008
Wood River Illinois
What a nightmare man sorry to hear hope things get better for you soon.

ronald021

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
TJ
It was an old tank without any bottom bracing like the newer tanks. Nor did it have any wooden support of any kind. The RTGG survived along with one flowerhorn fry that I got from bastardfish a while back (the thing was about 6in). I had a lot of dividers in the tank (refer to pic) because I needed a temporary holding place because one of my other fishes in my other tank was sick. The carpet cleaner people came at 8am the following morning and sucked out all the water and shampooed my carpet. However, I still had to remove my carpet and padding cause it was still wet. Currently, I'm airing it out with fans to prevent mold.

That one blurry picture was me grabbing the aro and running it to my garage. I was gonna throw it into my koi pond but realized the water must be freezing so I just dropped it into my flowerhorn tank in the back. My brother took some more pictures of the tank after I removed some of the breathing fishes. Strangely, the RTGG only moved when I came back later and poked it. It jumped and landed several times to the point of bleeding. So final survivial count is:

1RTGG, 1 baby flowerhorn, 10 king kong parrots. These parrots were all the big kinds 4"+.

My dad had the gardeners dismantled our tank today and trashed it.

Lesson learned:
1. Dont overfill your tank. 1gal = 8lbs, it adds up.
2. Dont add too much gravel.
3. Replace tank after a while.

P5260015 [800x600].JPG

P5260016 [800x600].JPG

P5260017 [800x600].JPG

P5270018 [800x600].JPG

ronald021

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
TJ
These are the fishes I would like in my next tank. Those pictures are not pictures of my tank. Perhaps I will decorate mine with more wood and plants. Oh, I wouldnt even dream of owning that arow, I just want a jar or lei. Maybe I should get into contact with infinite aquatics.

Well... first is first... Bro, dad, and I need to convince the mom to let us have an even bigger tank. Looks slim, but who knows. Dad, bro, and I might just bring home a tank one day and take the heat for a week. HA!

Image(022).jpg

Image(023).jpg

Image(024).jpg

Image(025).jpg

Image(026).jpg

Image(027).jpg

Image(028).jpg

Image(029).jpg

Mustardboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Virginia
Wow dude, those were some beautiful fish, sorry for your loss.... Hopefully you fill find a purty baby arowana soon! GL man

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
i know something of the nightmare you are going through..lost my huge pacus to tank exploding.. and my tank was new but wire shorted under neath and caused bottom of tank to heat up.. it will be a year in sept and i don't think i will ever be completly over it..but i would never stop fishkeeping.. my heart goes out to you and your family.. it is devestating.

Plecos_Ftw

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2007
Palmdale, Cali
I had a few tank failures my friend. one tank was like yours, my mom found it with about 3 inches of water in it. I cant say I know how you feel but I can somewhat relate. I never had a 12 year old fish but I have lost a few who meant a lot. Im very sorry for your loss and I hope things work out for you in the future.

nes999

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2009
IL
im sorry to here that

i knew a guy that had a 1,500 gallon tank in the south side of chicago
this was his life every dime he had went into it he fed the fish before himself one day some jerks broken in to a hammer smashed this tank stole some junk and left i forget how much money was lost but to this day he is still sad so i know how it feels but maby your dad will talk your mom into another big tank thats what my father did with my tanks lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store