12x4 Plywood garage build thread

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
I would do exactly as you stated. Vent some of that moist air out along with running that dehue and you should be good. moisture on the walls is no good.
I went ahead and bought the vent and a big 4 inch drill bit to vent it outside the house, just need to get around to doing it.

Sorry, I skimmed to the end. My admiration for an outstanding project. I especially think the hood was a stroke of genius. Can't wait to read it more carefully.

Have you played with temperatures in the tank or in the garage? I don't have access to a calculator, but iirc lowered temperatures in either case should reduce humidity. Maybe you don't want or just can't, but if you reduce it a couple degrees in either case it might have a measurable effect.

As for other choices, yes, I'd be thinking of a fan to draw the air out of the top of the room, or an added dehumidifier. 55% relative humidity isn't yet in mold territory, so you have some margin of error, but condensation as a rule isn't a good thing to have inside any building (other than those designed for it like indoor pools.)

If you end up living with the moisture, I'd consider mold resistant water sealers on the exposed surfaces inside the garage.
Thanks, I really love how the hood turned out. Can't really mess with temps because the garage isn't heated or cooled but I have a 4 inch fan already connected to the top of the tank and just purchased everything to add an external vent to the side of the house. Just need to figure out how to run the flex hose to the vent since its going to be on the other side of the garage.

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
I've been up and running for about 3 months now and thought I would post an update because longevity is always a concern with plywood tanks. Although this is a relatively short term update for longevity I haven't had any issues with leaks, bowing or anything with the tank itself. It now houses my four largest rays and a smaller otorongo ray. Between the pot scrubbie chamber and the K1 chamber my water quality has been absolutely amazing and I now find myself only doing water changes maybe once a week (I still haven't set up a drip to it yet). Eventually I am going to redo the plumbing and place a 55 gallon drump on top and have that be the new K1 chamber just for added piece of mind but for now it works.

Anyways heres a couple of crude pics to show it up and running still

otorongo group

[URL=http://s847.photobucket.com/user/mscamp02/media/Mobile%20Uploads/0521161255_zpsbxoxw4ee.jpg.html]
[/URL]

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looking good. Nice rays. A drip probably will get it maintenance free for u.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store