135 gallon planted tank question

monsterK

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2023
Currently have a planted 135 gallon tank, got rid of the fish that were in there too my buddy. I want too do a hugr school of one kind of fish, maybe tetras? Anyone have any suggestions on what would look awesome? I've seen some large tanks with a ton of small schoolers and it looks incredible. Any suggestion on species that would look awesome.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Exodon tetras would be cool if you’re interested in something a little more aggressive.
You could achieve similar with tiger barbs.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Virtually every different member on this forum could take it in turn to suggest a schooling/shoaling species of smaller fish for you, and we'd probably still not get through all the different alternatives!! There are that many.

I think the major factor in making your decision could well be cost!! A "huge shoal of one kind of fish" ain't gonna be cheap.

The previously mentioned neons, rummynose, exodons and tiger barbs could all look great in a species only tank. I love my shoal of serpae tetras in my hex tank. Honestly the list is endless, and potentially very expensive!!

I suggest you research a few species that you fancy, and then cost the job up. Keep us posted on your decision.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Can you post a pic of the tank? Seeing the decor could give us some inspiration.
I would suggest rummy nose or serapes too but as esoxlucius esoxlucius sqys the list of possibilities is endless.
Another consideration is sometimes if tetras are kept by themselves and feel safe they don’t school as tightly as they would with other fish around , especially something bigger than them.

monsterK

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2023
Can you post a pic of the tank? Seeing the decor could give us some inspiration.
I would suggest rummy nose or serapes too but as esoxlucius esoxlucius sqys the list of possibilities is endless.
Another consideration is sometimes if tetras are kept by themselves and feel safe they don’t school as tightly as they would with other fish around , especially something bigger than them.
Here is the tank! As requested! Idk where I wanna go with it :( haha

1000002455.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store