135g SA "Renewal" Project

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Thanks for the kind words. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the aquascape, it's just got that new tank look. It will look more natural once there is some algae on the rocks. I've re-used all of the wood and had all of it for a long time, so it looks nice and aged - except for the stump on the right... that one was covered in java fern and when I ripped it all off it left the log looking shiny & new.

So I measured one of the GT's by putting a ruler on the glass, resting on the bottom trim, and snapping a photo when it came to a rest behind it. Looks like they're about 8.5 cm, which is a little over 3.25 inches.

I'll try to update this thread from time to time.

I'll definitely post some more pics once I install some DIY filter intakes.

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
These Rivulatus are hilarious! I've been sitting in my recliner facing the tank at several points throughout the day.

I can tell they're finally settling in. There's been some minor chasing and gill flaring. Even some body slapping that is often a part of courtship displays. This evening one of them has claimed a rock pile/cave on the left of the tank and no one is allowed near. Not even the Bushy Nose Plecos who get nudged out of the way.

I did 3 small feedings with New Life Spectrum pellets throughout the day. They all seemed to eat them readily. Tonight I tried giving a treat (frozen blood worms) and they were almost universally rejected. They all tried it, but none of them really liked it and a couple spat it out and kept swimming. This is new for me - my last batch of cichlids that I just traded in used to eat various frozen foods, including blood worms, right out of my hand. They'd go crazy.

Oh well, I know pellets are better for them anyhow. I only give frozen foods as a treat on the weekend - so these guys will have 5 or 6 days of pellets before I try frozen again - next week will be brine shrimp or mysis shrimp.

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Alright, so these two photos are of the same fish. It's not the largest of the GT's, but it seems to be marginally more aggressive than the others. Which is not to say it doesn't get chased from time to time, it just seems to be the chaser more often than not.

It's head has a different profile than the others. It doesn't appear to have the beginnings of a nuchal hump or anything like that but it's head seems flatter between the eyes. Not sure if that makes sense...

IMG_1798.JPG
IMG_1800.JPG

And here's the thing. This fish has like no colour on the end of it's caudal fin, which is disappointing. It may have a good personality, but if it turns out I have extras of either sex (I'm going for 1M : 3F) this will be the first fish voted off the Island.

Reactions: cichlidfish

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
This fish is slightly bigger than the rest. Despite that I suspect it is a female. Not that I know how to sex these guys yet.

IMG_1802.JPG

It does have nice colour in the end of the caudal fin, so if it turns out be male there will have to be a showier male to make me get rid of this fish (eventually). If it is a female it's assured a spot in the harem!

Reactions: cichlidfish

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
And this fish is my favourite (colour wise). It's got a nice thick band of yellow on the caudal fin and very nice spangles on the side. It seems to have claimed a cave/rock pile at the back right side of the tank making it hard to photograph. I think (hope) this is a Male.
IMG_1815.JPG
IMG_1813.JPG
IMG_1811.JPG

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Okay, so it's been 3 weeks that I've had the 5 GT's. 3 have grown quite a bit and put on some girth. None more so that this guy - who also seems to have started growing a hump literally overnight. The pictures don't capture it as well as it appears on real life. That's my fault;

IMG_1846.JPG IMG_1849.JPG IMG_1848.JPG

He's claimed the clump of rocks on the left of the tank. The other confirmed male, who has not grown and may have parasites (sunken belly) has the clump of rocks on the other side of the tank. Strangely the smaller male with no signs of a hump will still chase this larger male.

I've ordered some API General Cure through Amazon. Just waiting for it to arrive and I'll have to treat the whole tank.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Nice bro he is looking good, I can see the little hump already as well

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'm stoked because I'm assured at least one nice male to choose from. Sitting and watching them today it seems as if the little male no longer chases this guy from the right side of the tank.

Neither male has torn fins so I presume they came to some sort of "arrangement" because the big guy still doesn't chase the other male all that much.

I'm pretty sure I have two females as well.

The 5th fish is a mystery to me. It's the one that had no colour in the caudal fin seam. Now it does. But it still doesn't scream male at me. It's now the second largest of the GT's. I'll try to get a photo...

MP_cichlid

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2015
Connecticut
Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 has a lot of experience with GT's, I'm more of the expert on the other terror from Ecuador LOL! But i would say female.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store