135g Stocklist Will it work? (Satanoperca Mapiritensis / Daemon)

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Sorry for all the posts lately guys, I really want to get these tanks right... Last time I put up the stock list for the 225g you guys were very helpful and I found out I had a pretty hard to get Satanoperca. So now I am in the position to get my 135g going and want your feedback. Here is what I am planning so far.

x1 Satanoperca Mapiritensis (already have 1, will buy any I can find as well)
x4 Satanoperca Daemon
x6 Geophagus Red Head Tapajo (already have 2, 4 more coming. All juvies)
x1 L213 Rio Tapajo (already have it on hold, not negotiable)

My real concern is the Satanoperca Mapiritensis in the same tank as the Daemon. Right now the Mapiritensis is getting bullied by a Geophagus Abalios and hides most the day. I am setting up the 135g for it specifically but am curious is the Daemon will bully it as well? I have never owned any Daemon. The low PH etc I can handle no worries but don't want to pay $50 a piece and have to get rid of the Daemon. I do want them pretty bad though. FYI, upgrading tank down the line is not an issue. :D

peathenster

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Georgia, US
IME the aggression level of common Satanoperca species is jurupari < leocosticta < daemon. But remember YMMV. Interesting that you mentioned it - my abalios is a bit of a bully too.

Stock list looks good. I'd personally add one or two relatively peaceful SAs, like severums etc.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
peathenster;3442668; said:
IME the aggression level of common Satanoperca species is jurupari < leocosticta < daemon. But remember YMMV. Interesting that you mentioned it - my abalios is a bit of a bully too.

Stock list looks good. I'd personally add one or two relatively peaceful SAs, like severums etc.
Thanks bro! So you would mix the two if it were your tank? I am leaving room in the tank so once I know these guys work out, I can have some options left. BTW, i don't know what YMMV means?

peathenster

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Georgia, US
JK47;3444489; said:
Thanks bro! So you would mix the two if it were your tank? I am leaving room in the tank so once I know these guys work out, I can have some options left. BTW, i don't know what YMMV means?
it means it may work out differently for you ;)

mixing Geophagus and Satanoperca? Should be fine...

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
peathenster;3444702; said:
it means it may work out differently for you ;)

mixing Geophagus and Satanoperca? Should be fine...
Not mixing geo and Satanoperca, mixing the two Satanoperca's. Mapiritensis and Daemon? Hoping the Daemon will not treat the Mapiritensis like the Abalios currently does after I move it from the tank it's in right now. Make sense?

peathenster

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Georgia, US
JK47;3444737; said:
Not mixing geo and Satanoperca, mixing the two Satanoperca's. Mapiritensis and Daemon? Hoping the Daemon will not treat the Mapiritensis like the Abalios currently does after I move it from the tank it's in right now. Make sense?
I've only mixed jurupari and leocosticta, and they were fine. I'd say try it and see what happens. The good thing about these guys is that they usually don't kill each other overnight :)

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
The three spotted species tend to be more aggressive than the other 4+ Satanoperca generally.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
darth pike;3446627; said:
The three spotted species tend to be more aggressive than the other 4+ Satanoperca generally.
DP- Would you mix the two?
Being more aggressive for a Satanoperca or equal to or more so than an Abalios?
If I went with Leocosticta instead, would the Mapiritensis school with them or know the difference betweeen itself and the Leocosticta? I know, dumb question but I have to ask.

titansfever83

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
AL
Better idea.....

.......ship me the Mapiritensis and get all the Daemon you want, problem solved!!!

On a serious note, Daemon do have slight more aggression than other Satanoperca, like DP mentioned. Though it can be hit or miss just like any other species. Just keep your water crystal clear and your gonna need RO if you ever plan on breeding the Daemon.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
titansfever83;3447285; said:
Better idea.....

.......ship me the Mapiritensis and get all the Daemon you want, problem solved!!!

On a serious note, Daemon do have slight more aggression than other Satanoperca, like DP mentioned. Though it can be hit or miss just like any other species. Just keep your water crystal clear and your gonna need RO if you ever plan on breeding the Daemon.
HAHA! I love the Mapiritensis, it's not goin now where. There are ditsy women walking around Hollywood in "Ug boots" that would kill for lips like that! :ROFL:I quess I will probably ditch the Daemon idea because I already tried the "hit and miss" approach and missed.....

Any other SA peaceful ideas to go with it and the red heads? Want to try something new to me and not already in my other tank, no sevs, fancy pleco's etc... What would you stock beyond the Mapiritensis and read head?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store