135gal Central American FTS

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
Well I had to tear apart the tank to catch the seven C. cutteri(?) as I traded them in, solely due to the fact that it drove me nuts not knowing exactly what they were.

Here's the new scape..

0124141833d_zpsd6bdbd0b.jpg

I think I may catch some flack on this one as it's very simple, however I really like it. I never was fond of the previous rock arrangement on the left side. One, it looked too "placed" for my tastes, and two, I am not fond of the orangish colored rocks. Nothing new really added to this scape except for two bags of small river rock that I picked up from Hobby Lobby. In my opinion this is one of the better scapes that I've done and it took me the least amount of time. All it's missing is a fresh batch of leaves which I already have soaking..

0124141833d_zpsd6bdbd0b.jpg

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Is kind of funny that I love your tank but if it was mine I'd see empty space that needs to be filled. Probably because always want to do something fish relationship ed but there are only so may tanks the wfe will permit so I'm always tinkering with scaping or upgrading equipment that works fine.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Love the tank. I hear you on the rocks. I'm going to thin some out myself in my tanks. Only issue is, they provide those few extra territory markers so I always end up being torn.

I love the choice of fish too.

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
Thanks for the comments everyone.

bbortko, not sure I completely understood your reply but I feel I got the gist of it?..Hah.:confused:

mrrobxc, the added rocks do help with territory sometimes, however I've found they can also actually increase aggression a bit as the fish will begin claiming areas. In my case, the "three amigos" as I like to call them (pearsei, syn, and argentea) are mostly open water swimmers. Only the male C. sajica really tries to claim a particular area.

You just have to find that balance.. and less is often more.

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
Put together this short video last night. Nothing has changed setup wise but everyone is coming along nicely..

Be sure to watch it in 1080p HD!
[video=youtube;IDb62qrT_eE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDb62qrT_eE[/video]

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
I'll be starting a 135 South/Central American tank soon and will most definitely be using this as an aquascaping guide. Any recent tank updates?
Funny you ask as I just uploaded a video the other day..

Not much has really changed stock or scape wise other than the sudden predation of all my Black Yucatan Mollies. I am down to ONE lone male from the 20+ I had. Not sure why the sudden change in attitude but all three of the big guys started going after them when the lights went out. I don't plan on replacing them with anything for the time being as I'll be moving at the end of May. Once I get everything set back up in my new house, I'll most likely add another school of Buenos Aires Tetras or perhaps try Sailfin Mollies (as they are larger then the Yucatans).

Here it is.. be sure to watch it in HD!
[video=youtube;2CWRlmNBa_0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CWRlmNBa_0[/video]

Nemesis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
nyc
Amazing!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store