140g stocking question

N1neSixFour

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2021
Hello everyone

in the next week or so I will be getting my new tank, which will be 140g (528 L im danish we use L) along with a 45g (128 L) sump.
i have always wanted Oscars, but havenever had a tank that's big enough and now finally I will.
so i was thinking getting 1 maybe 2 oscars and some Red Head Tapajos Geophagus, some kind of pleco (don't know with one). Would I be able to keep any others? and which ones if I could?

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Plecos poop more than they eat. 2 Oscars would be fine. The Tapajos could get bullied. Instead of a pleco, get large synodntis such as Feather Fin Squeaker.

Reactions: N1neSixFour

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Common Plecos aren't a good choice. As Masked Shadow suggested, they create a ton of waste. They're scavengers but not algae eaters. That said, there are several other species of Plecos that may be a good choice. Bristlenose are a common option. There are many others, though I'm not very experienced with them to make further suggestions.

I've had Tapajos and Oscars get along. But I've also had many situations where I know adding Tapajos would not work. If your long term goal is to have Oscars & Tapajos as the tanks feature, with others in supporting roles... I suggest getting the Tapajos first. Letting them have the tank to themselves. Let the grow out, establish themselves... then many months later add the Oscar. I highly doubt a mature breeding colony of Tapajos would pick on a baby Oscar. And the Oscar growing up in the Tapajos tank would be most likely to not harass them when he grows out.

In that set up, I'd also suggest you use decor to break up the tank. Such as a large center piece, allowing the Oscar to have one side of the tank and the Geos the other.

N1neSixFour

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2021
hmm is would there be an alternative to the Tapajos? something kinda like them. Otherwise ill probably try as Toby suggested and add them first

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
There are other geophagus cichlids, but tapajos is is probably most suited to be with an Oscar.
I agree with The Masked Shadow The Masked Shadow that severums are a good choice. Beautiful and passive but will fight back if it has to.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
As for plecos there are honestly a ton of choices.

you could try a sailfin as they are smaller than commons (not by much), or you could go with green/blue phantom, sunshine, queen aqabiquis, leopard cactus, mature bn, 3 beacon, orange seam, king tiger, honey comb, Goldie, honestly your choice are endless with plecos.

you could also maybe try some of the syno’s

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store