150 gallon SA planted Riparium Cichlid setup refresh.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Hello Everyone,

I decided to redo my 150 and do a build thread to log the process. I wanted to do another Riparium after having so much fun with my 110 and I wanted to incorporate CO2 as well since it’s been a minute since my high tech planted tank days. I don’t plan to go crazy with stems given the Amount of maintenance that stems require with all the trimming and replanting that needs to be done.

I plan to keep lower light plants since my lights will be suspended 18” above the aquarium rim and the Riparium plants will surely cover some of the light spread. The idea is to incorporate various ferns onto the hardscape and using aponogetons and swords into the substrate. I will be dosing with the EI Method, pumping CO2, and may incorporate some Bucephelandra down the road.

The wood scape is comprised of Manzanita branches to create the “shelf” look I’ve been incorporating into my setups now for the past several years. The Riparium plants up too will be a mixture of ferns, palms, and various other relatively common houseplants that can live with their roots submerged into the water. I’ll do my best to tally the plant species to help others that want to do something similar.

The fish will be comprised primarily of SA fish found west of the Andes on the northern pacific coast of South America. The setup will not be a biotope since most of my plants will be of old world origin, originating primarily from Southeast Asia, Africa, and Australia.

The tank dimensions are 60”x24”x24” and the fish species I have so far are:
- Rhodsia Altipinna
- Andinoacara Rivulatus
- Geophagus Alto Sinu
- Ctenolucius Hujeta

I also have a pink tail Chalceus in there for the heck of it.

Substrate is “Saf-T-Sorb” which is a baked clay substrate with outstanding CEC properties that have proven to be better at slow releasing nutrients than standard aquarium based clay substrates like Seachem Flourite or Eco Complete. I opted not to use a soil based substrate given the fact that my cichlids will root around and soil based substrates are very messy if disturbed.

Lighting is comprised of three pendant LED lights from Aqua Illumination. They are the AI Prime freshwater modules which I’ve used on my 110. I love these lights and they have an easy controllability via WiFi. Unfortunately one was a dud so I’m waiting on a replacement. What’s great is the manufacturer is sending me a new version that is Bluetooth enabled at no extra cost. Great customer service.

Filtration is two Fluval 406’s. One hooked up to a spray bar at the top. A third will be added soon that will run through a CO2 reactor. CO2 will be delivered via a GLA dual stage regulator. Ferts are dry ferts from GLA as well.

Anyhow, I’ll be tracking things along the way. Here are some pics.

First, the raw materials and equipment.

16D093F2-677F-4407-A630-32E8F104F2AB.jpeg

3AE0A53F-D12C-4DEE-830A-2412137471B2.jpeg

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Your tanks are always top notch!
That oil absorbant looks fantastic. I may try it in my 90.
Thank you. It really is a good substrate that doesn’t break the bank. Relatively easy to clean as well.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Got some more plants. The co2 will be setup this weekend but the plants came in early. Going to glue the Trident java fern and Bucephelandra onto the wood throughout the week and spend the weekend preparing the moss for the wood and the Staurygone for the substrate. The fern will be near the top of the Aquascape on the wood with some veining down into the lower parts. The bucephelandra will be placed at various random points in the scape. Plants came in nice except the moss is a bit dark.

Also got some more plants for the top. Plan is to put a bunch up there and see which ones thrive and build the scape around them just like I did with the 110 Riparium.

2905EB54-ABBB-410A-A3FE-02ED8F8A01A3.jpeg

2B8D9266-B402-4AAC-B2F4-C0546712FBF9.jpeg

DC7BB1F5-3C6E-42F0-9052-A32CDC5B603A.jpeg

16B52E31-107B-4593-9B4A-842D88255D2C.jpeg

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
Top view of the scape with lids removed. I really hate the center brace.

View attachment 1395467

View attachment 1395468
How about setting a mesh or plastic grid on top of the brace and growing a moss over it? If it helps I've had huge success growing java moss above water as long as it stays moist. Or a terrestrial moss even?

Looks amazing though mate.

Reactions: deeda and mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
How about setting a mesh or plastic grid on top of the brace and growing a moss over it? If it helps I've had huge success growing java moss above water as long as it stays moist. Or a terrestrial moss even?

Looks amazing though mate.
That’s a great idea. Literally just today I had two others give me the same suggestion in my IG page. Something to definitely consider. I have some left over hygrolon that I can use for his.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store