1500 gallon filtration

Scoot123

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2017
Will do! The whole projects kind of at a stand still until I figure out filtration. I don’t wanna start drilling holes for bulkheads and regret it later.

Scoot123

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2017
There will definitely be an Ultima on here for the convenience of draining the tank quickly. Just wanted to add a sump to polish the water since I heard Ultimas don’t do a very good job at that.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
There will definitely be an Ultima on here for the convenience of draining the tank quickly. Just wanted to add a sump to polish the water since I heard Ultimas don’t do a very good job at that.
I’ve never personally used it but I’ve seen some canister type looking water polisher in a long cylindrical tube. I think Pacu Mom maybe JK47 or someone else used that’s specifically for mechanical filtration purposes. I also believe K1 micro due to the size will trap many particles but requires more backwashing. Could be wrong! ??‍♂??‍♂

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
If perfectly clear water is what you are after put a DE pool filter (Hayward EC-40 should be plenty big enough) in line after the Ultima. You will not get clearer water with any other setup. You could keep the filtration closed loop with this configuration if you wanted to.

A sump is nice for oxygenating the water and off gazing which a closed loop system doesn't account for. If you have other means for an air/water interface a closed loop system should be less hassle than a sump.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
P.S.
With a sump below the tank water level the water level in the sump will go down due to evaporation.
With a sump above the water level the tank water level will go down with evaporation.

Above water level sump - Your auto top off float valve will have to go in the tank.
Below water level sump - Your auto top off float valve will go in the sump.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
I’ve never personally used it but I’ve seen some canister type looking water polisher in a long cylindrical tube. I think Pacu Mom maybe JK47 or someone else used that’s specifically for mechanical filtration purposes. I also believe K1 micro due to the size will trap many particles but requires more backwashing. Could be wrong! ??‍♂??‍♂
I really like Pentair Rainbow RTL filters for mechanical filtration. RTL filters are spa filters and are used on large reef tanks for mechanical filtration. I was clueless when setting up our 300 gallon tank and consulted with a man who sets up and maintains salt water tanks for businesses. He sold us our first RTL filters along with a ReeFlo Hammerhead pump. The only other MFK members (that I know of) using RTL filters are Oftalmos on his 765 gallon tank.

jsc incorporated an RTL filter in his build and really likes it.

Unfortunately, family illness and multiple surgeries for me (including another surgery yesterday) has derailed my working on our big tank. On our small 300 gallon tank we are running two RTL-25s with a ReeFlo Hammerhead pump for extreme mechanical filtration. The big pump with a Venturi return nozzle (another spa part) creates a strong current in the tank which our fish love. In addition, the system spits out a lot of air so we don't need any other form of aerators. The beauty of the venturi nozzle besides enhancing the flow, is that the flow can be directed wherever you want it to go.

1568334082330.png

I love the RTLs so much, I'll be going with six RTL-100s on the big tank for mechanical filtration. The two Ultima II 4000s will be used for primary biological filtration. One of the Ultimas will be used to return the water from the sump back to the main tank. The sump is for redundant filtration. Such big plans, too broken down to work in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store