18" Arowana Acting Up (Jumping Constantly)

Mobatic

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
I have an 18" Lei that been acting up. I have him in a 240 gal and recently he been acting up and constantly trying to jump. Luckily my lid are heavy with a brick on top incase he tries to jump out. Anyone know how to calm him down? I lowered the water 7-8 inch so that he wouldn't injure himself if he jumps. The only tank mate is a handsize KKP. Any suggestion would be great. Water been the same with 30% weekly water change nothing really change. Tested parameter and its all there with nothing out of range. Tank is filtered by two fx5.

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
behind my iMac.... Southampton UK.
how big is the air gap from tank roof to water level? what lights power the tank? anything noticeable changed around the tank pior to this behaviour?

Mobatic

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
the air gap is about 7-8". I have T5 lighting but hardly ever turn it on. No any major change around the tank been that way for years. Sometime i think that it might be flys or something that get near the top of the tank which cause him think its food and try to dive for it but its just an assumption.

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
try putting a blanket over top of tank so he cant see any bugs above the glass? Raising the waterlevel as much as possible will lessen the chances of jumping... i run .5" air gap's in all aro tanks and none of my aros jump: ozzie, asian, sa or afro.... Leaving the lights off will or should calm him down a bit but if you do that anyway... hmm its a strange one you sure it anit the fh nipping him???

ntboy09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2009
whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
that's a sign, there is something wrong with you water for sure, don't trust those testers. I would add more ceramic rings or bio-loads, open both of ur fx5s and check what's inside. 2 fx5 can't handle a 240g, do you have space for a sump?

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
sounds a bit anal but id almost be inclined to leave a cam running for 24hrs recording tank to see how the 2 interact throughout the day... fh's are a sod! im not thinking you dont know this for a sec just saying cos its not outwardly aggressive when your about doesn't mean he isn't at a certain point of the day, late in the night or early in the morn or something....

and 2xfx5s can handle bio load of a 18" lei and a fh just fin.... :nilly: READ THE OP!!! jeehz....

do you use polyfilter? id recomend adding a interal runing underworld's polyfilter to any tank its magic stuff! change it every 3months and it works wonders! like magic stuff!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/__u...rworld+polyfilter&geo_id=21&ff4=284591_284611

how's the tank decorated?

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
that's a sign, there is something wrong with you water for sure, don't trust those testers. I would add more ceramic rings or bio-loads, open both of ur fx5s and check what's inside. 2 fx5 can't handle a 240g, do you have space for a sump?
2 fx5s is more than enough for just one 18" lei and a handsized KKP in a 240, I had 3x 20" Silver Aros and around 6x 8-13" Pbass in a 240 for the whole summer with only 2x fx5s as filtration. I have since added a sump, b/c it'll be needed in the future, but at the time it was more than enough. Ammo and nitrite was always 0.

Did you or anyone do anything to spook the aro lately? When i have guests over sometimes they'll spook my aro and it'll freak out/jump even if i slowly approach the tank. So i just leave it alone for a few days and it goes back to normal. Also is your lei eating?

Mobatic

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
The two filter is fully loaded with ceramic rings and ehiem ehfisubstrate. I would assume that two fx5 is alot of filtration just for two fish?

sounds a bit anal but id almost be inclined to leave a cam running for 24hrs recording tank to see how the 2 interact throughout the day... fh's are a sod! im not thinking you dont know this for a sec just saying cos its not outwardly aggressive when your about doesn't mean he isn't at a certain point of the day, late in the night or early in the morn or something....

and 2xfx5s can handle bio load of a 18" lei and a fh just fin.... READ THE OP!!! jeehz....

do you use polyfilter? id recomend adding a interal runing underworld's polyfilter to any tank its magic stuff! change it every 3months and it works wonders! like magic stuff!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/__un...=284591_284611

how's the tank decorated?
I doubt it can be the parrot fish, the King kong parrot are just mid tank swimmer the aro does not even see him as a threat. Had him since he was three inches. There are no decor in the tank just bare bottom.

ntboy09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2009
whitehorse, Yukon, Canada

and 2xfx5s can handle bio load of a 18" lei and a fh just fin.... :nilly: READ THE OP!!! jeehz....

i kept so many aro, it doesn't matter if its a silver, ozzie or asian. aro they requires good filtration and clean water, some people that kept asian aro without using a sump always ask me for help on how to treat their sick aro and improve their filtration.

Mobatic

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
2 fx5s is more than enough for just one 18" lei and a handsized KKP in a 240, I had 3x 20" Silver Aros and around 6x 8-13" Pbass in a 240 for the whole summer with only 2x fx5s as filtration. I have since added a sump, b/c it'll be needed in the future, but at the time it was more than enough. Ammo and nitrite was always 0.

Did you or anyone do anything to spook the aro lately? When i have guests over sometimes they'll spook my aro and it'll freak out/jump even if i slowly approach the tank. So i just leave it alone for a few days and it goes back to normal. Also is your lei eating?
I dont know if anyone spook the aro, got siblings at home but im gone half the time so its hard to say. It eats superworm. I had it eating mp but then it got hooked on those superworm and wont go back to taking mp. Im trying to gradually get him back on mp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store