18" Arowana Acting Up (Jumping Constantly)

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
behind my iMac.... Southampton UK.
opps my bad i totally read that as fh... lol ima tit!

if you can raise the water, place blanket over top for a week and run some polyfilter... if it still happens?

oh and how is the tank airated?

Mobatic

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
opps my bad i totally read that as fh... lol ima tit!

if you can raise the water, place blanket over top for a week and run some polyfilter... if it still happens?

oh and how is the tank airated?

I have Koralia blowers in the tank and I use the fx5 without no head on the outlet so its pretty airrated. Yea probably try your method to see.

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
its worth a go.. my greens a jump soon as water level drops below about 2-3".... my black had his moments when his level was lower too...

if it works then first id try removing the blanket from top and leaving the water level high... at the end of the day you want to be able to illuminate your tank when your about at least... :headbang2

hope it helps mate!

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
sounds a bit anal but id almost be inclined to leave a cam running for 24hrs recording tank to see how the 2 interact throughout the day... fh's are a sod! im not thinking you dont know this for a sec just saying cos its not outwardly aggressive when your about doesn't mean he isn't at a certain point of the day, late in the night or early in the morn or something....

and 2xfx5s can handle bio load of a 18" lei and a fh just fin.... :nilly: READ THE OP!!! jeehz....

i kept so many aro, it doesn't matter if its a silver, ozzie or asian. aro they requires good filtration and clean water, some people that kept asian aro without using a sump always ask me for help on how to treat their sick aro and improve their filtration.
First off, a sump isn't going to help lower nitrates. All it will do for the OP's tank is add more water into circulation and possibly increase surface agitation. Secondly, the OP's ammonia and nitrite levels are fine, meaning that there is sufficient levels of Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter living in the biomedia of his two fx5s. Thirdly, in your original post you ask the OP to, "add more ceramic rings or bio-loads," while adding more ceramic rings is not a bad idea, adding more bioload certainly contradicts your argument for him to get a sump in the first place. If indeed his 2 fx5s are already insufficient for his current bioload (an 18" lei and handsized KKP, which i believe is light for a 240), then how would adding more bioload be a good idea? Lastly, although getting a sump should be on the OP's to do list, it is not going to immediately fix his problem.
Yes, I agree. Leichardti are very sensitive to water conditions, and adding a sump along with an RO system, autowater changer, UV sterilizer, etc would increase its longevity.

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
i take it you quoted me for no apparent reason other than u pressed worng button here???? :popcorn:

Mobatic

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
Thanks for the input guys, I understand that people have different point of view in how to handle the situation and I appreciate the answer but honestly I would agree with you Chizzle. I dont think adding more filtration would resolve the issue.

bosanova

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2011
new york
I have an 18" Lei that been acting up. I have him in a 240 gal and recently he been acting up and constantly trying to jump. Luckily my lid are heavy with a brick on top incase he tries to jump out. Anyone know how to calm him down? I lowered the water 7-8 inch so that he wouldn't injure himself if he jumps. The only tank mate is a handsize KKP. Any suggestion would be great. Water been the same with 30% weekly water change nothing really change. Tested parameter and its all there with nothing out of range. Tank is filtered by two fx5.
Assuming that what you say about your water parameters is correct ,and the Lei is not sick w/parasites or internally.there can only be one major factor other to consider for this type of behaviour when it comes to Aros ,it has to do with turbulence of the water surface,try keeping the ouput of those filters under the water surface by a good inch or two,and you will notice a new beast coming out of your skittish ARO TRUST ME :headbang2:headbang2:headbang2

Mobatic

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
Assuming that what you say about your water parameters is correct ,and the Lei is not sick w/parasites or internally.there can only be one major factor other to consider for this type of behaviour when it comes to Aros ,it has to do with turbulence of the water surface,try keeping the ouput of those filters under the water surface by a good inch or two,and you will notice a new beast coming out of your skittish ARO TRUST ME :headbang2:headbang2:headbang2
Interesting observation, did this work for you?

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
i never suggested it was the lack of filtration or insufficant just simpley that polyfilter will cover any small misshaps in the water quaility that do occur!....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store