180 FOWLR Predator tank ideas

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Hey all,

Never thought I'd be posting in this section, but here I am. My 180 should be approaching the time where I can add the fish I want. It has been up an cycling since December, and I've had 3 little damsels in it for the last month which I feed brine shrimp nightly. This being MFK, I did not set up this 180 to keep damsels. I would like to settle on 1-2 or 2-3 large predatory fish for this tank. I have done some research on other forums but am looking for input from your guys. Any help is appreciated. I am currently drawn to:

Volitan lions (vanilla, I know - but they're pretty!)
Miniatus Grouper
Panther grouper (not doing this because I don't have a 300 gallon on standby)
Great Barracudas (I know... I know. I just love fish with teeth. Not buying this either)
Snowflake eels

Any input/ideas are greatly appreciated. Haven't bought anything yet, but being quarantined makes me want to put something interesting in this tank to look at.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Appreciate the input, but is there any reason a Volitan would be a bad idea? I would like a mix of fish if possible, though 2 large Volitans would be quite a sight.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Beautiful fish indeed! Going that route would exclude the Lionfish (from what I've read atleast). Are they ok with other predators?

Reactions: twentyleagues

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Beautiful fish indeed! Going that route would exclude the Lionfish (from what I've read atleast). Are they ok with other predators?
The most successful clown trigger keepers seem to keep them solo in large tanks. When they reach maturity they dont seem to get along with much anything. Perhaps in a much larger tank they could share space.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
RIght now I'm kind of digging the Lionfish, Grouper, Eel combo.
Lionfish - probably Vol.
Grouper: Blue line or Miniatus
Eel: Snowflake, Zebra Moray, or maybe Tessalata

Any one of those a bad idea, or could these three live together ok?

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Started looking more at Triggers last night. Probably means giving up the Lion fish I realize, but they're active and pretty. As long as I can have 3 decent sized predators I'm gonna be happy. Last night I was reading up on the Humu trigger, but I'll take a closer look at the Niger as well. Is it one of the "less aggressive" trigger species as well?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Started looking more at Triggers last night. Probably means giving up the Lion fish I realize, but they're active and pretty. As long as I can have 3 decent sized predators I'm gonna be happy. Last night I was reading up on the Humu trigger, but I'll take a closer look at the Niger as well. Is it one of the "less aggressive" trigger species as well?
Ive seen triggers kept with morays and lionfish. Ive heard humus can be better with tankmates than clowns or other large triggers.

I would avoid the tesselata though. Thats a big fish for a 180.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store