180 FOWLR Predator tank ideas

Bsixxx

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
Get some indian threadfin (alectis indicus)
Or a hi-fin snapper

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Niger triggers tend to be pretty peaceful, but triggers and lionfish tend not to work out well. I would decide one, maybe two fish that are requirements for you, then add from there. Most of the moray species will do fine with either a lion or a trigger, pass on a tesselata though. Undulated morays are sweet and a really good sized eel for a 180, but most go ballistic and eat anything they're in with so I would pass on those as well if you're looking for more of a community.

If you want a clown trigger, they can do very well in a reef setting with smaller fish that they can't catch, but in a 180 I wouldn't mix in any other predators. Look up "Darryl" on Reef2Reef, he's got some great tips on keeping the more aggressive triggerfish in community settings. He's kept 4 clown triggers in reefs, if I remember correctly.

Orectolobus reticulatus and Orectolobus wardi are two smaller wobbegong species that occasionally show up, if you're interested in sharks at all. Not many other species I'd be comfortable keeping in a 180 full time, although there are a few catsharks that should fit the bill.

Reactions: tlindsey

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
depending on the full size of your final tankmates, I would get a radiata lionfish instead. imo much prettier than volitan

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Niger triggers tend to be pretty peaceful, but triggers and lionfish tend not to work out well. I would decide one, maybe two fish that are requirements for you, then add from there. Most of the moray species will do fine with either a lion or a trigger, pass on a tesselata though. Undulated morays are sweet and a really good sized eel for a 180, but most go ballistic and eat anything they're in with so I would pass on those as well if you're looking for more of a community.

If you want a clown trigger, they can do very well in a reef setting with smaller fish that they can't catch, but in a 180 I wouldn't mix in any other predators. Look up "Darryl" on Reef2Reef, he's got some great tips on keeping the more aggressive triggerfish in community settings. He's kept 4 clown triggers in reefs, if I remember correctly.

Orectolobus reticulatus and Orectolobus wardi are two smaller wobbegong species that occasionally show up, if you're interested in sharks at all. Not many other species I'd be comfortable keeping in a 180 full time, although there are a few catsharks that should fit the bill.
Snowflake Moray would do fine in a 180 gallon.

Reactions: Oompa Loompa
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store