180 Gallon Nature Aquarium

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Does anyone know what "cf" stands for? For example, I just picked up 6 alestopetersius cf nigropterus to add to my current 3 fish. They do not look the same as the ones I have.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
It means it is possibly a very close relative or variant of a known species, possibly a regional variant. It could just be the species it is suspected to be.
It is applied when there is some uncertainty of it being the typical species.
I hope that makes sense.

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Yes, that does make sense and is what I expected, though I couldn't locate online that this is what it did mean-- so I knew that someone on here could verify that for me. :) The new batch does look different in coloration- but it may be because they appear to be adults or sub-adults. The original three are of same body shape, although they are much younger, so smaller, than the six I just got yesterday. The original 3 are silver, with a goldish area around top of head. The larger have this goldish area on head, but also have
a beautiful red cast that seems to deepen when relaxed and fade a bit when stressed.

I also got two ( all that vendor had) Alestopetersius cf. Brichardi. These two fish are stunning! They should be for 2 tetras @40.00 ea. Did I tell you I was obsessed with African tetras? :(

Ill do a video tonight of this new group. They are in quarantine right now- and for the next month before add to the 180 gallon.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Yes, that does make sense and is what I expected, though I couldn't locate online that this is what it did mean-- so I knew that someone on here could verify that for me. :) The new batch does look different in coloration- but it may be because they appear to be adults or sub-adults. The original three are of same body shape, although they are much younger, so smaller, than the six I just got yesterday. The original 3 are silver, with a goldish area around top of head. The larger have this goldish area on head, but also have
a beautiful red cast that seems to deepen when relaxed and fade a bit when stressed.

I also got two ( all that vendor had) Alestopetersius cf. Brichardi. These two fish are stunning! They should be for 2 tetras @40.00 ea. Did I tell you I was obsessed with African tetras? :(

Ill do a video tonight of this new group. They are in quarantine right now- and for the next month before add to the 180 gallon.
Look forward to the video I'm curious to see the two @ 40 each. I'm sure they are stunners.

Reactions: tlindsey

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Here is a video of the a.brichardii online- just to give you an idea of what they look like. . Ill add mine later...

... and the a. nigroptersus. When I looked these up on Utube- I think I may have found out the difference in coloration. You can see in the video that the females appear more silver and the males have a red cast. Maybe last batch all males?

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Awesome looking tank. I like the look a lot.
^^Great fish.
As for cf.:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cf.
"The abbreviation cf. (short for the Latin: confer/conferatur, both meaning "compare")".

"In biological naming conventions, cf. is commonly placed between the genus name and the species name to describe a specimen that is difficult to identify because of practical difficulties, such as the specimen being poorly preserved. For example, "Barbus cf. holotaenia" indicates that the specimen is in the genus Barbus, and believed to be Barbus holotaenia but the actual species-level identification cannot be certain.[5]

Cf. can also be used to express a possible identity, or at least a significant resemblance, such as between a newly observed specimen and a known species or taxon.[5] Such a usage might suggest a specimen's membership of the same genus or possibly of a shared higher taxon, such as in, "Diptera: Tabanidae, cf. Tabanus", where the author is confident of the order and family (Diptera: Tabanidae), but can only offer the genus (Tabanus) as a suggestion and has no information favouring a particular species."

its actually "cf.", "aff." and "spp.", all are abbreviations of latin terms.

spp. is simply the plural form of "sp." or species.

cf. is short for "confer" meaning "compare with" in the context of systematics/taxonomy

aff. is short for "affinis" meaning "similar to"

http://www.aquaticquotient.com had a thread on the terms. Below is one of the posts:
"cf. is used with you have a specimen that is very close to something you know, but you are not sure if it is different. whereas aff. is used with you have a specimen that is similar something you know, but you are sure it is different.

example:

Rasbora cf. elegans means a fish that is very similar to the regular Rasbora elegans but you are not sure if the slight difference is indicative of a separate species.

Rasbora aff. elegans means a fish that is very similar to the regular Rasbora elegans but you are quite sure they are different.

The latter case is not very commonly used as most authors prefer to simply refer a confirmed undescribed species as Rasbora sp. (in this case he/she is sure it is a Rasbora)."

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
This tank still going? Any updates?
I wonder if those fish are aware they are not in an actual river.

Reactions: Lilyann
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store