180 sump/overflow setup

AKBlueJacks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
USA
I just purchased a used 180 gallon tank that came with an all-glass MegaFlow model 4 sump. It also has a 1200 gph pump. The previous owner was using an overflow box with the u shaped tubes that carry the water over the rim of the tank. I am new to having a large tank with a sump and I don’t really like the idea of that type of overflow for fear of losing the siphon. I am interested in drilling the tank for the overflow(s) and looking for any advice on the location and rational for the holes. Also does the flow of water normally do a good job of keeping solids like fish poop suspended in the water and eventually out the surface skimming overflows? Or does the removal of solids need to take place during weekly water changes? Any advice on the model 4 sump would also be welcomed.

• Love
Reactions: Matteus

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
Good rule of thumb is 10x water turnover per hour. So your 1200gph pump is a little small for a 180g tank (about 6.6x turnover per hour) but it's not awful. The higher your water flow the better it will be at moving the fish waste to the overflow and into the sump. Some people use a siphon to remove waste when they see it build up in their tank and some people use Rid-X to help break down the waste. There are a few options to help remove the waste but the best is to make sure the water isn't stagnant at any location of the tank.

Reactions: Matteus

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
search bean animal overflow
this is not my tank but I use this style on my big tanks. safety in redundancy. click on the blue.

AKBlueJacks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
USA
I like the idea of the Bean Animal overflow - thanks for sharing that. I had heard previously that the flow rate should by 6 times an hour, but I have a second pump that is rated at 1000 gph. If I used them both it would be a total of 2200. I am leaning toward using one of my 55 gallon tanks as a sump. I figure it could add about 40 gallons to the system for a total of 220 gallons. So that flow rate would be about right on.

With the overflow, I think I like the idea of having some kind of box or system on the inside of the tank better than on the outside. I see that the guy you came up with it did it like that on his set up. Any advantages to one or the other (inside vs outside)?

With a flow rate of 2200, what size bulkheads would be needed? I see flow rates that are all over the place on the Internet.

Lastly, how many holes can one safely drill in a tank without weakening the glass?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
From personal experiance and since yours isn't drilled yet go for 1.5". 1.5" will be able to handle the flow you want and do at least 4 holes which would equal 2 overflows. I'm sure you can get custom made overflow a if you look around. There are plenty of manufacturers of overflows most end up with 1" pipe though so look into them a bit before you purchase any of them. You also need to do research on the type of overflow system to use as stated above bean animal is one type. Typically one using 3 holes per overflow has a much higher safety factor to it. Here is a great explanation on overflows
I got a reefready 180 which has two corner overflows two 1" holes/overflow wish id have drilled it myself. It comes setup for durso but that only gives you 1200gph total. I currently have it set up as a siphon which will allow up to 1000/overflow but one pipe is used for siphon the other is an emergency. Techanically the emergency can only handle 600gph because a 1" pipe not under pressure or siphon can only flow 600gph safely. So again techanically I should only be putting 1200gph total to the tank for safety sake. 1.5" is rated at 1200/overflow not under siphon I think so if you were able to get 2 1.5 dual hole overflows you'd be good. Put a 3rd/overflow or a 5th seperate hole for emergancy and you'd be golden.

Kfactor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2019
I have the eshopps large over flow on my 75 it’s does 1000gph . When I build my big tank I think I’m just going to get two of the eshopps large over flows that will be close to 2000 gph
I like the idea of the Bean Animal overflow - thanks for sharing that. I had heard previously that the flow rate should by 6 times an hour, but I have a second pump that is rated at 1000 gph. If I used them both it would be a total of 2200. I am leaning toward using one of my 55 gallon tanks as a sump. I figure it could add about 40 gallons to the system for a total of 220 gallons. So that flow rate would be about right on.

With the overflow, I think I like the idea of having some kind of box or system on the inside of the tank better than on the outside. I see that the guy you came up with it did it like that on his set up. Any advantages to one or the other (inside vs outside)?

With a flow rate of 2200, what size bulkheads would be needed? I see flow rates that are all over the place on the Internet.

Lastly, how many holes can one safely drill in a tank without weakening the glass?
I have the eshopps large over flow on my 75 it’s does 1000gph . When I build my big tank I think I’m just going to get two of the eshopps large over flows that will be close to 2000 gph

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
From personal experiance and since yours isn't drilled yet go for 1.5". 1.5" will be able to handle the flow you want and do at least 4 holes which would equal 2 overflows. I'm sure you can get custom made overflow a if you look around. There are plenty of manufacturers of overflows most end up with 1" pipe though so look into them a bit before you purchase any of them. You also need to do research on the type of overflow system to use as stated above bean animal is one type. Typically one using 3 holes per overflow has a much higher safety factor to it. Here is a great explanation on overflows
I got a reefready 180 which has two corner overflows two 1" holes/overflow wish id have drilled it myself. It comes setup for durso but that only gives you 1200gph total. I currently have it set up as a siphon which will allow up to 1000/overflow but one pipe is used for siphon the other is an emergency. Techanically the emergency can only handle 600gph because a 1" pipe not under pressure or siphon can only flow 600gph safely. So again techanically I should only be putting 1200gph total to the tank for safety sake. 1.5" is rated at 1200/overflow not under siphon I think so if you were able to get 2 1.5 dual hole overflows you'd be good. Put a 3rd/overflow or a 5th seperate hole for emergancy and you'd be golden.
I have 1.5 inch drains and pvc at that size is a bit of a pita locally 1.25 is everywhere . I did see a design for a no box drilled tank with siphon break but I would think that could be a tad trickly sounding. I have been satisfied with my durso as far as noise but I am easy.
Are you going to be filling it with ebjd?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!

I was just setting this overflow up on a 75 last night! Unfortunately I checked the bottom and front and back for temper and bottom was tempered and the front and back were not. So without checking the sides as in left and right I started drilling.....guess what? The short sides are also tempered! I'm now down a 75g. Stupid! I dont know why I assumed they wouldnt be since the front and back weren't. My lfs was also shocked.

Kfactor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2019
I was just setting this overflow up on a 75 last night! Unfortunately I checked the bottom and front and back for temper and bottom was tempered and the front and back were not. So without checking the sides as in left and right I started drilling.....guess what? The short sides are also tempered! I'm now down a 75g. Stupid! I dont know why I assumed they wouldnt be since the front and back weren't. My lfs was also shocked.
That’s weird how the sides are and not the front and back I have never seen that I know most bottoms are

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store