180 sump/overflow setup

AKBlueJacks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Travis - do you have any other plumbing after the h2overflow or does it just go straight out the back and down to your valve by your sump? It doesn’t whirlpool with air?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Travis - do you have any other plumbing after the h2overflow or does it just go straight out the back and down to your valve by your sump? It doesn’t whirlpool with air?
That’s what the valves are for. You close them off partially so that the water draining down them is fully siphoned. This way there is no air and no noise. You cannot hear anything from my setup, even when you’re standing right next to it. Yet, I am running it at about 1500 gph.

AKBlueJacks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Thanks. I might try something like that but with a diy weir.

Tell me a little more about your returns. What is aquarium specific parts vs common plumbing? Where did you drill your anti siphon hole?

AKBlueJacks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Do you think one of your drains could run the full 1500 gph on its own? Wondering what you think your 1 1/2 inch lines could flow at full siphon.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I have the eshopps large over flow on my 75 it’s does 1000gph . When I build my big tank I think I’m just going to get two of the eshopps large over flows that will be close to 2000 gph

I have the eshopps large over flow on my 75 it’s does 1000gph . When I build my big tank I think I’m just going to get two of the eshopps large over flows that will be close to 2000 gph
How long have you had it set up?

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
One design I kind of like has a hole drilled in the bottom, with a bulkhead that runs a pvc pipe up to top of tank with holes drilled. Another pipe bigger sized, covering it with holes drilled in both top and bottom. This way it sucks overflow from both top and bottom. It takes up some space but pretty cool design imo

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Thanks. I might try something like that but with a diy weir.

Tell me a little more about your returns. What is aquarium specific parts vs common plumbing? Where did you drill your anti siphon hole?
Do you think one of your drains could run the full 1500 gph on its own? Wondering what you think your 1 1/2 inch lines could flow at full siphon.
I don’t think there is anything different between aquarium specific plumbing and regular plumbing other than the color. Many people use regular PVC in their aquarium plumbing.

As for the flow rates, each of the H2Overflows is rated for 1200 gph, but I don’t think that is a rating for full-siphon. You might be able to get 1500 gph if it’s a full-siphon setup, but I’m not sure about that. I’d just recommend going with three 1.5” bulkheads. If you’re going to drill two holes, it’s not hard to drill a third.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store