1st hand experience vs Care sheets

Whats more helpful

• Total voters

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
It depends on what fish it is. Something common like an Oscar you can find useful info.

If you have polys, puffers, beani, or something more exotic those caresheets can be killers.

Polys, dats, & sw fish are some of the worst caresheets I've seen.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
y'know mate I used to think even Turkana sens don't go past 45cm but this article states a study in 2003 collected a 50.5cm senegalus from lake Turkana.

Northeast end of Lake Turkana (Boulenger 1905, 1906, 1909; Hopson & Hopson 1982); Omo River Delta (Pellegrin 1935),
and the lower Omo River (Baron et al. 1997); Nilo-Sudanic in distribution; 50.5 cm TL (Seegers et al. 2003).

I would LOVE to see that particular specimen!
No doubt some of the information found on care sheets "could" be true but when its wildly overstated...:barf:

I would take information from a specialized forum like MFK over a care sheet.

I would stay away from Facebook for good information.
More often than not I’ve seen people trying to give good advice to some dumb know it all and they get called down by a mod for trying to correct someone.
Because you’ll hurt their feelings.
I hate FB for fish advice
Oh yeah im no lover of face book in general but the polypterus dedicated pages are top notch.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I don’t think you need to prove anything bro. Don’t need to respond to every thing he posts. Lol. Some times it’s ok to let things go, and let the man be a good dad to his kid.

Thx bud. I kind of figured one of these threads i made for him would go that route. I think theres enough info for him to make a decision, gonna let him read them tonight

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
What's your point exactly. They dont specify their source information by the way,neither do they mention about which species the info is about. However,the info is not incorrect,just vague enough.

As for large clowns,thats been discussed here many times and still no solid prove of any clown above 12 inches. The last time you were showing me a jug for reference for a clown that wasnt even yours. I was supposed to be convinced based on the size of the jug which presumably is very common in your part of the world.

Having said that, I agree that there could be exceptions.
Point is,majority of clown loaches kept in captivity rarely reach 12 inches. How large did yours grow?
I dont know why you continue to create drama. I requested we stop this discussion on the dat thread that was created for an 8 yr old to read through.

RD. RD.

His comments definitely relate to this thread so feel free

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It's all good in the hood, Frank. I believe that I made my point, as have yourself and others. As unfortunate as it is there is still a lot of misinformation that can be found on the interweb. My CL was just one of many examples that I'm sure everyone that has spent some time in this hobby could point out. My own eyes and my own hands on experience is what I tend to rely on over everything, and everyone, else. Good luck to your son, one thing that I have learned over the years is that this hobby is a never ending learning curve. But that can be fun as well!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
It's all good in the hood, Frank. I believe that I made my point, as have yourself and others. As unfortunate as it is there is still a lot of misinformation that can be found on the interweb. My CL was just one of many examples that I'm sure everyone that has spent some time in this hobby could point out. My own eyes and my own hands on experience is what I tend to rely on over everything, and everyone, else. Good luck to your son, one thing that I have learned over the years is that this hobby is a never ending learning curve. But that can be fun as well!
Thx Neil.
The main reason for all the threads ive recently started was to show him not to rely on google alone. Sometimes other peoples mistakes/experiences are just more valuable.

He has a bearded dragon and will google stuff all the time, when i ask him how do you know that person is correct ? I get... "umm i dunno" lol

Forum just give a wider range of opinions

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Two experienced hobbyist can have very different experience with the same species, one keeping it in clinical tanks in a basement, another in a more naturalistic tank in a main living area for example. Mfk, Google both have some great and terrible information, working out which is which can be the hard part, both can be great for getting a rough idea of what to expect but you wont know 100% until you have kept it in your tank with your husbandry.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
You know jaws7777, I have kept clown loaches for 7 years,you have kept polys for what...4 years? Both of us are arguing that the fish we keep cant exceed some stated size by someone else....We're some professionals,lol

How the heck do we know any of it for sure unless we have kept either species for their full life span in the best possible conditions? Both species can live quite long..

For the lack of sufficient experience of our own, we just choose to believe someone else, be it a person or a scientific paper. Taking a side does not make it the true side. Only time will tell.

When it comes to the accounts of majority of people that have kept p.senegalus or clown loaches,it is clear that either species rarely if ever exceeds 12 inches.

So in essence, you are singing the same song I am,but none of us is a singer..

You know,I promise myself not to take it too harshly when my clown loaches grow into big 16-17 inch monsters... :naughty: I am going to have to hide after arguing the opposite for years...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store