1st Tank

NeonTetraFan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2005
Virginia
www.freewebs.com
Just1nK4ng said:
3-4 rbp , red bellied piranha and deck your tank out i mean make it look like the amazon + the black water extract, dim lights etc. etc.
Piranhas are illegal in Georgia.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I didn't read all the replies in this thread, but don't get a 55g. Down the road you're going to regret it. Go with a 75g or 90g. The just about 6" bigger front-to-back and you'll be able to keep a lot more fish because of that.

bLaZn420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2005
houston, tx
Listen to talented glory. He is so right. At first i got a 55 gal tank and got a stand made for a 55/75. I really regret not gettin a 75 knowing theres all that extra space for it on the stand. Now ill jus wait till my FH and BP get a lil bigger n then maybe ill change it.

boredcpl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
lawrencburg,indiana
i agree with them a 55 is cool but a 75 is a little bigger and sets better.. not as wobbley.. a 55 is great but a 75 is better and more stable..

mikehawk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
FL
Just1nK4ng said:
3-4 rbp , red bellied piranha and deck your tank out i mean make it look like the amazon + the black water extract, dim lights etc. etc.
I heard that RBP's need to be in big schools in order for them to act like badasses. Is 3-4 of them enough for them to be comfortable enough to be killers or at least entertaining at feeding time?

How about some pickerel? The redfin and grass pickerels only get to about 10-12" and they're definitely carnivorous. I think 1 or 2 can fit in a 55.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
HAHA my first tank was a 29g back in the day. My how the hobby has grown. I've currently got 2x55g, 2x40g, 1x37g, 3x20g, and maybe 8x10g's. Since my interest in monsters has grown, most of these tanks have been sitting in storage. I want to get a 180g, then do a 70/90g discus.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
There are a couple smaller carnivores around, you could keep 3-4 whimple's piranha,3 red belly piranha, or 3-5 hollandi piranha, don't expect a horror movie level of agression but they will eventually kill anything you put in with them. If you want some local natives you could keep a pair of shellcrackers or bluegill and a decent sized bullhead, they will happily munch minnows and you won't need a heater. If you don't mind mix origins you could keep a dwarf pike cichlid, 3-5 blackfinned celebes half beaks. a couple of the smaller leaf fish. and a couple of cory cat or a small species of pleco cat, and even 3 redhook myleus. The halhbeaks, dwarf pike cichlid, and leaf fish will all take small fish and you wouldn't have a single species tank. good luck.

BIG REDD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
MARYLAND, USA
GO WITH THE FLOWERHORN! BUY QUALITY AND LET HIM GROW OUT IN THAT 55. YOU WIN FIND A MEANER HYBRID THAN THAT. PLUS, NO 2 ARE ALIKE, SO IT WILL BE UNIQUE. :grinyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store