2 ft albino trying to commit suicide

runninlow

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2012
minnesota
SO for the pass week my albino silver has been trying to jump out of the tank. I honestly don’t know why he is doing this. At first I thought it was the water quality and after checking extensively my water parameters are pretty good. He never did this before and now he is doing it daily to the point that his two barbs are gone from bashing the rubber tops so much. It has now gotten to the point where I wake up early every day to check and see if he has jumped out of the tank during the night time hours.

He lives with 4 BD rays and they are pretty good about not bothering him and vice versa. The only other thing I could think of why he would be jumping is

1. he wants to commit suicide

2. The rays are harassing him.

3. Something is wrong with the water.

He live in a 220 and will be moving to a 480 in about 3 weeks since time doesn’t permit for me to set up the tank now.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

runninlow

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2012
minnesota
i think thats a small issue with the tank being 8x2x2. he was fine with having to swim down a little to turn around. with the new 8x4x2 coming up hell be much much better. the issue at hand now is why is he jumping and trying to get out of the tank.
the albino is about 2 ft and the rays are about 15 inch and lower.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
How old is the tank .. you said that your water parameters are pretty good ..the rays could be causing ammonia problems maybe? Or maybe crazy high nitrate for too long

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
It's for sure a problem of tank size. I've seen this with aros before personally. They need a LOT more room than most people think. Time for 8x4 or even bigger. Surprised you're not having water quality issues with 4 rays in such a small tank...small rays?
To small tank, leads to bad behavioral problems.

Reactions: celebrist

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
I agree with tank size...

Personally I have also found that silvers are naturally more skittish than asians and if they feel crowded their first instinct is to jump

15' rays are fairly big already and if your BD's are as active as mine, Aro is getting agitated not necessarily because the rays harass her but, all the activity in a confined space

Put something as heavy as possible on top of your tank for now until you get a bigger tank to try avoid her jumping out

Aro Keeper

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
I have had similar issues with my X back. IMO the size of the tank isn't the problem. Silvers can turn with a shorter radius than the Asians. Aros jump for an umpteen amount of reasons. Try moving out the rays for a while and see if it stops. Turn off the lights for a day or 2. If you have tanning lights turn them off. Aros at times get freaked out with their own reflection. If your tank bottom is plain try covering it with substrate. Water temperature might be another reason. If it's too warm these guys try to get out. Good luck and hope it stops. It really sucks to be worrying about this. I know how it feels.

Reactions: narayanang76
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store