2 lithodoras dorsarlis grow out.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Finally. After years, I’ve managed to acquire two around the 6-8” mark. Very solid fish for there size.
I shall get some better photos once settled.
I need them to add two inches before I can put them into the 10,000L tank. currently in a 125g grow out.

I cannot wait to see how these change over the years,I shall make sure to document it.
I’ve found some brilliant papers on there diet and how much fruit is involved in a large part of it, I shall try to recreate it the best I can.
I will share those soon.

expensive price tag of £370 each.

6BFF1FF3-50D5-473C-98B8-55C1AF1E476E.jpeg

CD195076-6E42-43D0-834C-7C0AC92DFFAF.jpeg

EB5ABF0C-B542-4856-BBC8-A0BF1FE8608C.jpeg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Same here,I have been after this fish for more than ten years and I have finally gotten one.How does your two interact with each other? Mine is about eight inches and fairly active,it cruises around the tank throughout the day as well as rests for periods of time.In fact it is the most active of all the catfish in the tank.
Looking forward to seeing your updates.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
They seem to spend a lot of time next to each other , very active at times. Infact, they have the activity levels of the larger adult doradides I find. Not shy at all.
Same here,I have been after this fish for more than ten years and I have finally gotten one.How does your two interact with each other? Mine is about eight inches and fairly active,it cruises around the tank throughout the day as well as rests for periods of time.In fact it is the most active of all the catfish in the tank.
Looking forward to seeing your updates.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
koltsixx koltsixx has gotten two recently too, and yes, about equally expensive on this side of the pond at around $300. Kolt also says he is surprised by their light tolerance and activity.

Interesting bit on the fruits. Be sure to share. We'd like to read up on that. I had one and lost it long ago, 10 years ago. Never seen or had one since. I'd love to get a group of 5-7. Wanna see if females differ from males. Some of the photos of them on Planet Catfish are almost too cool to be true.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
koltsixx koltsixx has gotten two recently too, and yes, about equally expensive on this side of the pond at around $300. Kolt also says he is surprised by their light tolerance and activity.

Interesting bit on the fruits. Be sure to share. We'd like to read up on that. I had one and lost it long ago, 10 years ago. Never seen or had one since. I'd love to get a group of 5-7. Wanna see if females differ from males. Some of the photos of them on Planet Catfish are almost too cool to be true.
Yes. I’ve struggled to find any myself.
I know of 5 others in the country. My two make them 7 known & alive in captivity. I’m trying to get my hands on another 2. Hopefully, I shall.

I have plenty more catfish to update. Which I’ll do when I have some more time.
some special ones aswell.
ive been very lucky recently, and found some amazing fish, although, it has cost me a small fortune.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC

Hi Viktor, yeah my 2 where pretty expensive but I found some for a little bit less and have been tempted to buy more as I really like mine. Their outgoing personality is still going strong. So far the only cat that surpasses their activity level off the top of my head that I've kept where iridescent catfish.

I'm also interested to hear about Rpul Rpul experience with feeding fruits, I may try it myself. I will quickly mention a interesting observation of mine, one of my Lithos actively grazes on black hair algae. I had an outbreak of it during a stressful time in my life when I didn't maintain my tanks as well as I should have. Afterwards I left it as it grew on some pipe ornaments making them appear more natural in my opinion. From my knowledge I believe most fish dislike hair algae and I was surprised when the Litho started to graze on it.

Yes. I’ve struggled to find any myself.
I know of 5 others in the country. My two make them 7 known & alive in captivity. I’m trying to get my hands on another 2. Hopefully, I shall.

I have plenty more catfish to update. Which I’ll do when I have some more time.
some special ones aswell.
ive been very lucky recently, and found some amazing fish, although, it has cost me a small fortune.
Same here, I have waited close to 14 years trying to get my hands on these guys. I started with catfish on here with in my opinion my first real monster a cephalosilurus apurensis. After I kept some driftwoods such as Jaguars and Gulpers then Doradidae like rhinodoras dorbignyi and that led to my quest for a Lithodoras. I was never able to get them till recently. There are some still available here and I consider grabbing some more as well since I don't know when they may come round again.

I've also found myself spending quite a bit as some rare fish have been making their way into the hobby and I don't know how long that will last. So I have been grabbing up what I can.

I also wanted to give you a heads up on my experience with mine so far, just something to look out for. I'm not saying you'll make the same mistake I did but I had one of my Lithos get constipated and a impaction that made his lower belly pull him toward the surface. I barely noticed as he was swimming around like normal but I noticed his swimming was more head down and when he stopped he'd get pulled toward the surface and in order to rest he'd wedge himself under decorations. I had accidentally overfed them, which was easy to do as they are very food aggressive in my experience; easily outcompeting most of their tankmates as they even have no issue surface feeding. I had been feeding pellets and frozen krill treated with vitamin supplements. Luckily a epsom bath cleared it up in quick order and the Litho fully recovered.

Also Rpul Rpul may I ask what fruits they eat as per your readings? I'm curious to try it myself as well.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Were these the ones at wharf?
Saw they had at least one but couldn’t justify the price personally.
If it wasn’t then you may find they still have one.
Good to see you building collection.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Hi Viktor, yeah my 2 where pretty expensive but I found some for a little bit less and have been tempted to buy more as I really like mine. Their outgoing personality is still going strong. So far the only cat that surpasses their activity level off the top of my head that I've kept where iridescent catfish.

I'm also interested to hear about Rpul Rpul experience with feeding fruits, I may try it myself. I will quickly mention a interesting observation of mine, one of my Lithos actively grazes on black hair algae. I had an outbreak of it during a stressful time in my life when I didn't maintain my tanks as well as I should have. Afterwards I left it as it grew on some pipe ornaments making them appear more natural in my opinion. From my knowledge I believe most fish dislike hair algae and I was surprised when the Litho started to graze on it.

Same here, I have waited close to 14 years trying to get my hands on these guys. I started with catfish on here with in my opinion my first real monster a cephalosilurus apurensis. After I kept some driftwoods such as Jaguars and Gulpers then Doradidae like rhinodoras dorbignyi and that led to my quest for a Lithodoras. I was never able to get them till recently. There are some still available here and I consider grabbing some more as well since I don't know when they may come round again.

I've also found myself spending quite a bit as some rare fish have been making their way into the hobby and I don't know how long that will last. So I have been grabbing up what I can.

I also wanted to give you a heads up on my experience with mine so far, just something to look out for. I'm not saying you'll make the same mistake I did but I had one of my Lithos get constipated and a impaction that made his lower belly pull him toward the surface. I barely noticed as he was swimming around like normal but I noticed his swimming was more head down and when he stopped he'd get pulled toward the surface and in order to rest he'd wedge himself under decorations. I had accidentally overfed them, which was easy to do as they are very food aggressive in my experience; easily outcompeting most of their tankmates as they even have no issue surface feeding. I had been feeding pellets and frozen krill treated with vitamin supplements. Luckily a epsom bath cleared it up in quick order and the Litho fully recovered.

Also Rpul Rpul may I ask what fruits they eat as per your readings? I'm curious to try it myself as well.
Thanks for the information, I’ll have to watch there intake and make sure I don’t over feed.

I’ve been in the same position, a few rarer cats have appeared. So I’ve snatched them up. I’m working on trying to obtain least two more, I’m sure they will appreciate being in larger groups like most doradies.
I shall share what I came across regarding the fruits. Plumbs and grapes are a good food source for them.
I’ll share the information I’ve come across once I get 5 minutes. I’m currently still at work.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Were these the ones at wharf?
Saw they had at least one but couldn’t justify the price personally.
If it wasn’t then you may find they still have one.
Good to see you building collection.
Hi Dave.
Hope
You’re well, these where from wharf.

I’ll try to catch you in pier soon,

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store