2 Megoladorus irwini cats 20"+

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I have never seen these before..... what do the eat? Dp they have a hard body....like a pleco? I have a 4600 gal pond with a LARGE RTC and a 30" TSN,.... do you think there is any chance they could be swallowed by my cats? BTW, I live outside of DC and the drive to Reading is easy.
I'd not risk it. These irwini are too precious and they are timid fish, will not really fight back much at all but only rely on their armor and swing the tail. Large RTC will still attempt to swallow and mouth any new comers in their tank and will damage the fish or not unlikely kill by stress.

Still have them
They are so rare and precious that I am starting to consider a 1200 mi drive up north :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Bump for great and rare cats. C'mon North East MFK!

I can attest that reaching such sizes is rare. I have had 6 of irwinis for 4 years, only one is currently 2'+, the other five are 12"-14" eyeballing. So to me this pair is pretty remarkable.

Butchie, my neighbor, said it well :)

B BIG FISH BOB I forgot about your pacu, mate, in addition to the RTC. Your pacu will bite the irwini's fins any time it pleases to supplement its diet. It might not kill an irwini right away but the fish will be miserable and constantly injured.

Such is my personal experience with large pacu 1.5'-2.5' and any large, peaceful, and timid Doradidae, such as Oxydoras niger, Pterodoras granulosus, Lithodoras dorsalis, and Megalodoras uranoscopus in 4000 gal.

Reactions: Matteus

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Are there any public aquariums in your area that would take them at the very least?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store