20 gallon long "mini monster" stocking

N13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2021
Hello, I currently have a 20 gallon long "mini monster" community, the tank holds 9 tiger barbs and 2 dwarf gouramis, the dwarf gouramis are a pair and the tiger barbs get along well with the gouramis, the tank is also short term and it gets 50% water changes every week, I am looking for another tank mate that can go with them, preferably something that is predatory (can eat crickets, bugs, small fish) and personable, I was thinking of golden wonder killifish but I am not sure they will be compatible with my fish, will they? Another fish I thought of was the rainbow cichlid, which seems nice but I dont know if they can go in my tank, any ideas for fish that can go with the dwarf gouramis and tiger barbs, the fish doesn't need to be able to eat bugs /small fish but it will be nice if it can so I could do a feeding frenzy.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I think the tank is well stocked on schooling fish.
The fish you are looking for is African butterfly, but gets to big with the tank.
So lol Rainbow cichlid will do fine, they are nippy but don’t do much damage. You could get a pair of dwarf cichlids like rams.

Reactions: N13

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
Hello, I currently have a 20 gallon long "mini monster" community, the tank holds 9 tiger barbs and 2 dwarf gouramis, the dwarf gouramis are a pair and the tiger barbs get along well with the gouramis, the tank is also short term and it gets 50% water changes every week, I am looking for another tank mate that can go with them, preferably something that is predatory (can eat crickets, bugs, small fish) and personable, I was thinking of golden wonder killifish but I am not sure they will be compatible with my fish, will they? Another fish I thought of was the rainbow cichlid, which seems nice but I dont know if they can go in my tank, any ideas for fish that can go with the dwarf gouramis and tiger barbs, the fish doesn't need to be able to eat bugs /small fish but it will be nice if it can so I could do a feeding frenzy.
i have rainbow cichlids they would need the 20 all to themselves when fully grown they really deserve atleast a 40 gallon. they also arent anymore predatory than your gouramis, the disection of their stomach in the wild was something like 3% evasive prey. i think half beaks, killifish, or a highspot betta are pretty predatory looking. i think kilifish are your best option for predatory fish because they eat crickets and what not so well. personally if i was trying to do a 20 gal predator tank id get an immature african butterfly fish (they really deserve a much bigger tank but i think theyd do fine as the only upper level swimming fish in a 20) and maybe some coreys. you could also remove everything and do exodons and have it be an actual predator tank and not just a micro predator tank.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
i have rainbow cichlids they would need the 20 all to themselves when fully grown they really deserve atleast a 40 gallon. they also arent anymore predatory than your gouramis, the disection of their stomach in the wild was something like 3% evasive prey. i think half beaks, killifish, or a highspot betta are pretty predatory looking. i think kilifish are your best option for predatory fish because they eat crickets and what not so well. personally if i was trying to do a 20 gal predator tank id get an immature african butterfly fish (they really deserve a much bigger tank but i think theyd do fine as the only upper level swimming fish in a 20) and maybe some coreys. you could also remove everything and do exodons and have it be an actual predator tank and not just a micro predator tank.
Exos really need at least a 4 ft tank to keep from picking each other off.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

N13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2021
Exos need 40 gallons because they eat each other up if the school is small

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
Exos need 40 gallons because they eat each other up if the school is small
i did it but ended up selling them for congo tetras i didnt have any mire aggression between specimens than with something like tiger barbs but that was just my short experience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store