2018 Season

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Yep. It can get somewhat interesting at times lol. Last night I was spey casting in the dark. I usually try to only fly fishing at night in places I am VERY familiar with. Helps to avoid trees/bushes/etc etc that way.
Thinking my next fly will have one of those blinking red lights glued to it, got any favorite flies?

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
I don't have any favorite flies per say, usually I will start out with a streamer like a baby bow pattern or tan bugger and fish that till I see evidence of a hatch starting then go with whatever is hatching.

River has been fishing really tough the past two days, and the cold that has moved in isn't helping. Managed a couple small trout and bass/walleye today but that is about it. Heavy hatch of caddis and hendricksons from 6:30-9 but almost no fish rising to anything. Sometimes you just have to gauge the success of the day by the beauty around you.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
That wrasse is beautiful, amazing colors on that.
Was a very cold & wet day on the Au Sable today. While the trout have not been very active I've been getting quite the variety of other species. Landed about a 7lb redhorse on the spey rod this morning which was interesting, never seen a redhorse crash out of the water the way this one did numerous times. Also first time catching largemouth in the trout water, not just one but numerous ones today. Pike, walleye and a small bow added to the mixed bag today. Not the big trout I was hoping for on this trip but a nice mix of fish on the fly is always a welcome thing on any trip.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I just realized i posted this on the wrong thread, I thought this was divemaster's 2008 thread. lol If any moderators see, please move to correct thread. Thanks
Apologies S Steve_C

Last edited:

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
No problem Wailua Boy Wailua Boy , didn't bother me one bit I thought that Wrasse was beautiful!.

Success! Nothing like waiting till the last day of the trip to finally get the big trout I had been looking for all week. This one made the entire week worth it for me. Hit the same river bend I had been hitting numerous times this week again this afternoon (one of my fav bends) but this time unlike the other days this week a trout hammered the streamer and bent the spey rod right over and started bucking. Fish made a couple great runs and thrashed at the surface making me pray the hook stayed in long enough, but it did and I was able to slide the net under 19" of beautiful Au Sable river rainbow trout. Quick pic and slid him back into the cold waters. The Au Sable makes you work for it's gems, but when it gives one up you truly appreciate what it has given you. I love this river and look forward to calling it home some day :)

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
No problem Wailua Boy Wailua Boy , didn't bother me one bit I thought that Wrasse was beautiful!.

Success! Nothing like waiting till the last day of the trip to finally get the big trout I had been looking for all week. This one made the entire week worth it for me. Hit the same river bend I had been hitting numerous times this week again this afternoon (one of my fav bends) but this time unlike the other days this week a trout hammered the streamer and bent the spey rod right over and started bucking. Fish made a couple great runs and thrashed at the surface making me pray the hook stayed in long enough, but it did and I was able to slide the net under 19" of beautiful Au Sable river rainbow trout. Quick pic and slid him back into the cold waters. The Au Sable makes you work for it's gems, but when it gives one up you truly appreciate what it has given you. I love this river and look forward to calling it home some day :)

nice does that trout still have the juvenile head shape?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store