206G Plywood Tank...Done - Part1

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland
unprofessional;1802564; said:
Very interesting - I look forward to seeing the rest.

If you don't mind, could you post the final costs of the project?
This is roughly what I got so far:
Plywood - $122
Wood screws - $10
Glass (tempered) - $177
Silicone sealant, two tubes - $14

We probably used more epoxy than would normally be used because we did the inside and out. I guessing an inside epoxy job on something like this may come out to be a gallon for the inside only with fiberglass.

As far as the fiberglass goes I'm guessing about 3+ yards (at about $4 yard) for the inside. However, we didnt do the inside - we did the outside...on purpose.

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland
amehel0;1803263; said:
sweet! so are there gonna be nyfish?
Oh yeah, definitely. Probably wont be decided for a while yet but I know they'll be tropical.

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland
King Edward;1803403; said:
Nice...that epoxy is a little cheaper than pond armour, lol. Does it stink while you mixing it?
No, not that much. It's not a polyester epoxy so it doesnt smell that bad at all. But I always wear a respirator anyway out of habit because I've worked around a lot of stuff in my career. It's a natural habit now.

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland
spiff;1804012; said:
[

.The dimensions ended up being 60" x 30" x 26". Works out to about 206G gal.

that looks closer to 40 gal
It aint 40 gal at 1689lbs.

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland
After some discussion, a little disagreement, and couple of bets (cold ones) later it was time for the 1st coat. We decided to fiberglass the outside of the tank instead of the inside. One reason was the chemist wanted to prove out the epoxy unsupported but bonding inside a large wood tank. The other was to prove out that encapsulating the outside was as good if not better than laying out the inside.

Naturally, I had concerns. Coming from a technical background I had a lot of them. But then these folks are sponsoring my tank and I do love a good challenge.

The fist pic is the material used - they call it Max ACR. It's a 2:1 mixture and pot life is about 60min. We mixed ours for a pot of 45min. It' super clear and has low odor. The thick stuff is Max Bond thixotropic. Its a 1:1 mix.

First thing after bonding the tank back together was to fill in screw heads, dents, voids, etc with the Max Bond.

I wanted the tank black so he mixed in some pigment into the batch along with a little acetone to thin it out a bit. This will allow a better soak-in. I rolled it on with a foam paint roller right onto the wood. We hand brushed it in corners and other hard to reach places. The wood will do a grain raise which is fine. We waited a week, sanded (break the gloss) the first coat and applied the final coat minus the acetone. There is only two coats.

Pic1.JPG

pic1a.jpg

IMG_0977.JPG

pic2.JPG

pic3.JPG

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
:popcorn:

zoomed.com