Tampa
That is an awesome looking tank I cant wait to see it when its done =]

fsc46

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2005
Southeastern, MA
addicted2cichlids;1735799; said:
yup, got 9 burundi fronts. when they get big enough to vent ill break the group down to 1 male and 4 females if what i got now allows me to. 2 boulengerochromis microlepis which ill growout and donate to a local aquarium or rehome to a tank big enough to house for the rest of their lives. im going to add 1 or 2 lepidolamprologus kendalli, 1 or 2 lamprologus lemairii. 2 or 3 neolamprologus tetracanthus and 2 lepidolamprologus cunnuntoni. and that should do it.
Sounds good to me. One thing I would do is add a few more fronts if you want to end up with 4 females. If you end up with more than 4 females you can trade them on MFK and get a lot in return for them. :headbang2

Can't wait to see your tank progress!

addicted2cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Tanganyika Coastline
good afternoon my fellow tanganyikans! sure is a hot one in cali today! anyways i got back from my lfs, homedepot, and pool supply spot and got all that i need to get this tanganyikan tank up and runnin. i was gonna hit up my local rock spot but i figure ill do it another day! so lets go on with this thread! here are the parts that ill be using...

(2) 1 and 1/2 inch returns. the centers can be pointed which ever way i like....

1 and 1/2 inch intake with strainer...

(3) 1 and 1/2 to 1 inch reducers...

(2) 1 inch barbed fittings and a 1 inch "T"...

1 and 1/4 inch vinyl tube at 2 ft. with 4 stainless steel clamps...

(2) 1 inch threaded to slip coupling with some plumbers glue...

(3) 50lb. bags of 20 grade pool filter sand...

hacksaw and mitre box. to cut the 2 1 inch x 10ft pvc pipes...

the final piece that makes this system work. some may say its not enough filtration but i fell itll work just fine along with my weekly water changes and my bi-weekly vacuums...

and daddys little helper. star, my rat terrier. shell be a year next month!...

now im gonna go put in work! :headbang2 ill check in later! deuce!

addicted2cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Tanganyika Coastline
alright so i got all the plumbing setup now...

i replaced the stock hose (the hose that comes with the unit) with this vinyl tube cut into 2 1 footers.
i clamped both ends of the vinyl tube. the pic only shows the bottom part.
it was kind of tough gettin those barbed fittings all the way in...

i directed one bulkhead at a downward slant and the other bulkhead at a upward slant all toward the intake.

heres the intake strainer. i wanted a flush mount but couldnt find one and the only option was to special order but then i thought that this would be a better decision since you can say it "grabs" more debris and water.

i bought 2 1 inch x 10ft. pvc pipes just in case but only needed 1 and heres the outcome of my "closed loop system"...

stay tuned cuz i still gotta add water, sand, rocks, and of course my tangs!:headbang2 thanks for all the comments! others dont understand and call me crazy but it feels great to come to a spot where others like myself share the love for africans!... africa bambata and the soooouuuul sonic force! just thought id bring it back to the electric funk and freestyle days! hahahahah!

addicted2cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Tanganyika Coastline
slowef;1739024; said:
Cant wait! can we get a price list??
at homedepot it came out to $38.98 with the items i needed i also got a tape measure too.
at my lfs the strainer was $4.99 + tax. the pool filter sand came out to $30 and some change.
dont know if this helps!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store